Monday, July 30, 2012

A Circle This Morning

Transmission:  I felt the Earth turn today, in the morning while opening the shades.  Fall is coming.  This I appreciate more than the first greening of spring, as the heat and humidity of a southern summer limits my range of activity and desire to live fully.

This morning is cooler, darker.

And yet I shouldn't be deceived by the change, as there are two more months of heat yet to live through.  A North Carolina summer and a Michigan winter have similar affects on a mind.  I look outside like a patient dog waiting for the master, waiting for the heat to pass so I can go out.  I like to run in the morning, and nine o'clock is my favorite hour.  There is golden light spreading sideways, not punishing from a direct beam overhead.  In this light, everything has a true color not washed out in white.

The skin on my neck and arms glows with moisture from the balmy air.  I can breathe.  Have the trees release something good at this hour?  Moisture gathered during the night is absorbed and consumed by leaves, earth and air.  The day has begun.


    "Only love can make it rain.
     The way the beach is kissed by the sea.
     Only love,
     Can make it rain,
     Like the sweat of lovers laying in the fields.
     Love, reign o'er me."            ---Pete Townsend


I wonder what I can do with the life I have been given.  Maybe that is part of the problem.  There's too many examples to follow, instead I should just look within and go forward on inner-pilot.

Writing must be one of those choices, repeatedly suggested.  And for a while I practiced it publicly, but this became a problem because the format prevented full disclosure of deep issues that should remain private.  Therefore the scope could not include levels of realism that would add real depth and conflict.  A blog is like a social coffee gathering, and not a place to discuss the long term affects of mistreatment, abuse or betrayal.

It is not the place to explain the negative consequences of habits, dependency and addiction.

I guess it could be a place for all of that, but not under the banner of a children's handmade shop with a creativity theme.

But once while writing under this banner, a transmission arrived.  Unmistakably I heard the still small voice suggest that I let God provide for me.

Does this mean write?

Am I an addict dependent upon my enabler to keep me supplied in my basic needs and would a writing career reinforce those circles of exchange?  Is this an element of my psyche ingrained from 18 years of smoking?  Or is this my role in our family?  Why do I hold back when I could be forging a path into self sustaining support for me, for us?  Could my dependence be killing my drive to love?

That last question scared me so much I walked away to fold laundry.

If I wrote what would come out would be a book of questions.  Transmission practice is a conversation.

"I just don't know how to proceed."

"I suppose one word at a time."

----See?  It's like that.  A question, an obvious answer.

"All the questions have already been asked.  Yet someday, someone might read my questions.  Does that matter?  They have their own code of living."

To this, no response.  It's like that.  Sometimes a clue, sometimes dead silence.

Circling around the issues.  Circling around and around like the routine of maintaining the house.  I begin in the kitchen, maybe washing last night's dishes and starting coffee.  Then off to my desk for more circling, around those familiar haunts online, the same places over again, where people I've come to trust are faithfully present.  Each day the time is just a little later when I extract myself from the screen, now not as endlessly fascinated as I once was, but my need to be inspired or validated for the day keeps me hanging on.

It becomes more meaningless, less fruitful, more artificial every day.  When this feeling creeps in, I can leave my chair and go out into the bigger circling of home, yard, neighborhood, city, state, country, then home again.

The circle continues.  And somehow I know that the writing alone cannot sustain me.  Not yet.  Not until it consumes me like a fire fed on logs with sap that crackles, leaving beds of glowing red coals to instantly ignite a new burning.


16 comments:

  1. Hi, Jenny! It's encouraging to find you back here on your blog expressing yourself candidly. I never tire of your beautiful writing. One of the first things I learned when I experienced the est Training in 1983 was that each of us is broken - "screwed up" is how they phrased it - and guess what? It's okay. I find myself searching every day for a formula that will keep life on an even keel, but in the end, you and I both know that life cannot be lived according to a set formula. It cannot be scripted. It is only fully realized when it is lived authentically, spontaneously. That means making lots of choices and decisions, some of which turn out to be mistakes. It also means learning from them and moving on to execute more elegantly in the future. Again, I am very happy to see you writing again, dear friend. Have a wonderful day and week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady. Thanks for stopping by and offering your experience to add in another perspective. I kind of disagree that each of us are broken. It's not the type of imagery I want to entertain, whether or not that would be "okay."

      It's okay to disagree and still be friends.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely, lovely piece of writing, Jenny. It really evokes a soft, contemplative mood, one ripe for hearing that still small voice of God. I think you're right- you've heard the answer that will give you the first step in the direction you're to go. Your only responsiblity now, sans another firm answer, is to put one foot in front of the next in the path of faith and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, It's your first day back to work and still you made time to stop by! Thank you my friend! You are amazing. Thank you for the encouragement and the reminder that a responsibility is within the answer. I hadn't thought of it that way, but with that frame I think it would be easier to go forward. I do like to be responsible after all!

      Delete
  3. You are an excellent writer, Jenny. Your words speak to my very soul. So often I read them and relate so deeply to what you express here. I wish I could write as poignantly as you do. You have a gift. That being said, I think you will know when you're truly ready to branch out with your writing. I also struggle with feelings of inadequacy and self doubt and being dependent on my husband's income is a troubling issue for me, at times, and actually an idea I railed against when I first became pregnant with our son. You and I are blessed, though, to have this opportunity to raise our own children and pursue our creative interests. Be gentle with yourself and let life flow. I believe eveything will happen for you exactly as it should, at exactly the right time.

    I do the circle dance, as well. Being online too much has a self defeating effect on me. I tend to compare my art and accomplishments to everyone else's and then I just want to crawl under the table, hide, and never blog again because I feel an overwhelming sense of inadequecy. When I was teenager, my father would often compare me to other girls my age who were highly talented and ask me why I couldn't be more like them. I'm not sure if he realized how much this effected my self esteem and, unfortunately, his words still haunt me and I still struggle with those feelings.

    I know exactly what you mean about not being able to get outside as much in this unbearable heat! Ugh! I love summer but I'm ready for autumn and I really hope we get some snow accumulation this winter.

    I also struggle with the feeling that I can't express my truest inner feelings on my blog. I don't want to scare people off or be thought of as a melancholy basket case, although sometimes that's exactly what I feel like. At those times, I usually take a break from blogging until the feelings pass. I wish I could be more honest sometimes. Nothing I say in my blog is a lie, but I've found myself withholding the raw truths lately.

    I've been thinking about starting running again, but I think I'd need to go out around 4am. Even 9 am is too hot for me right now. Here's hoping for an early fall this year! (I know that would take a miracle in this state but I'll keep hoping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenn, Wow, I'm so glad I ventured a post today. Thank you for this beautiful comment, more like a letter between friends. You really are a beautiful writer with a great gift for photography and mothering. I love your philosophy of living and feel so comforted by your encouragement and friendship. We should do something together in the fall to celebrate it. Maybe a hike with our guys in the mountains.

      Delete
  4. Good afternoon my friend! So good to see you here. Also it is remarkable that as I read this, I realized you were saying some of the very things that I was contemplating today as well. Lol much more eloquently though!

    I never tire of reading what you write. You have a way of making me look more deeply within. Like you, I find that I often withhold the depth of what I'm feeling because I might make someone mad (family readers) or people would think that I am a nut job. The circle dance is a great way to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Teresa, I'm so glad to see you here this morning. It's not easy to look within and realize that we're skimming along the surface to save our very sanity. It's a sign of wisdom and strength and grace that we can acknowledge the deep parts and still reach out in friendship. There is hope in this. If you ever need me, I am here.

      Delete
    3. You are truly an inspiration to so many! I'm so glad to call you friend. You're one of the blessings that blogging has brought to me. I would never have had the opportunity to "meet" so many wonderful people without this blogging past time.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written, Jenny - you've expressed the uncertainty of direction we all feel from time to time. But I think you're on to something - listening very carefully for that soft word of direction. We can hear it, certainly, but we have to be very still. And that takes courage sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, it is sometimes easier to keep going along being a busy bee to ignore the prompts. It does take courage to stop and ask for direction, because I'm frequently so bull headed and want to do my own thing, in my own way, on my own time schedule. Then I wake up and wonder where all the time went and why am I wasting it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jenny,
    You have hit on all the points of blogging/not blogging/taking a break/returning with your usual ability to get to the heart of the matter. I have tried writing a blog that is 'just for me', but worry someone would find it and not understand the meaning and purpose behind the words. I ended up hitting the delete button on the few posts I'd written. Although it was somewhat cathartic...it ended up just feeling self-indulgent. Guess the old 'If you don't have anything nice to say' just is ingrained too deep in my psyche.

    I have been thinking how stinkin' hot it is around here, until my sister in Arkansas has been listing the highs for her city on her FB page. Ouch! I've often wondered...does Elliot feel like a real native North Carolinian or does he long to be in the cool climate of Michigan? From all you've shared, my guess he is happy wherever he is. You seem to have raised your children to live the 'bloom where you are planted' philosophy! I know my one child that was born in NC is very proud to say she is a native and equally proud of her LA roots!

    Glad you are back to posting...I'm still taking time off. I open up the page, read posts from dear ones and then just get overwhelmed by the time I've spent simply reading. Click the close button and go out to enjoy the day. Perhaps soon I'll be back to posting. For now I'm enjoying the bloggers life vicariously with your posts and those of our blog family!

    Loves~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sush, It's great to see you here this morning. I really relate to the self indulgent part of expression. I have to be very aware of the element of pathos, because someone very close to me during my childhood had a ton of pathos to share. This was hard for a child to bear, in fact, for anyone to bear. I think we are responsible for the energy we send out into the world. If we can do it in a way that ends up uplifting or inspiring others, then it can be useful. I recently attended an event in the homeless community here in Greensboro and there were a lot of heartbreaking stories told. But these beautiful people who had lost everything also shared stories of grace and love that humbled everyone in the room. No matter how far down we go, God is still present in love and forgiveness. So the old "if you don't have something nice to say" is a good thing, because the message becomes even "nicer" when dark days can be contrasted with lighter revelations. The sky is always blue, but sometimes just obscured.
      Elliot says he feels like a North Carolina boy. He likes this because it makes him a little different than his mom and dad. It makes him special, an individual within the group. Emily always felt like a northern Michigan girl. Yesterday I was doing yard work and I looked up and noticed the tattered remains of a kite that we flew together. It seemed like yesterday we were out in the yard flying it together, laughing and playing. It reminded me of her absence. Elliot watched me and asked why I was staring off into space. I told him that I was looking at the old kite in the tree and thinking of Emily. He said, "I was there that day too." So smart! To remind me that as long as I stay in the past, I might overlook his presence here with me now.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jennifer, that was a very thoughtful post and I hope you find what you're looking for out of life. Everyone is making that same journey, searching for meaning and reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Duncan! It's great to have you stop by. You have a great perspective to share and I appreciate that I'm not alone in this "seeking" kind of life.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!