Saturday, September 7, 2013

Nuts on Clearance!

So this week I decided it was time to make an appointment with a therapist to help me navigate. No matter that I regularly practice converting negative energy into creative pursuits, take time for solitude, exercise, take my vitamins; no matter that I stay grounded and comforted in the love of my beautiful children and supportive husband, there are problems too sticky and big and complex for me to deal with.

And here's how my spirit gets instantly healed the moment I ask for help:

  Five minutes after calling a shrink, I walked into the grocery store and noticed a row of carts, overflowing with cans of nuts.

Nuts are on clearance, people.

 I buy five cans.

You can never have too many nuts.


I went home with my cans and cans of nuts, laughing.

****

   One theme of this blog is seeking. Maybe it is the only theme. I seek the path of my life as it unfolds, questioning and wondering often if my professional life will ever materialize.  Perhaps only with my active pursuit of that path will I arrive at the horizon. Right now I am not taking those steps outward, instead developing my strengths internally and taking learning and growth into my own hands. 

   The simple opening of a page can do wonders for a soul.

Later in the day, while munching on nuts (which symbolize insanity but which are also delicious), I opened a new book and discovered this passage:

    "If you want to know what you are here to do, look around you, at the life you already have.  It will tell you what to do next if you follow the deepest thing you feel inside.  You may realize that, ultimately, your own true vocation has no outer form; that your dedication to an inner life is not concerned with the work you do.  What matters, finally is less what it looks like---the presence or absence of a string of achievements---than the pouring of your heart and soul into the longings and the loves you have been given."

~Roger Housden, Ten Poems to Set You Free



7 comments:

  1. I love how that happened and that you bought them! I would have, too! But, I think you are terribly brave with nothing nutty about you to take the steps you have. I'm so proud of you, my friend. Your path always takes you higher, and that inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly,
      I'm finding that bravery is in the action of reaching out for help. It's not saying, I can do this by myself.

      There are some things that we just don't need to burden our family and friends with. Thank you for being my constant, supportive, kind friend. Why God has gifted me with your presence and compassion, I don't know, but I am grateful.

      Delete
  2. I'm proud of you for seeking help when you need it. That takes, a fair amount of humility and chutzpah, my friend - as well as intelligence to know when you need assistance. I also love your sense of humor about your cans of nuts, and the message they gave you. I figure our Heavenly Father has a sense of humor too, yes? Be well - you'll figure out the answers you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I knew you would appreciate the irony that slayed me that day!

      Delete
  3. The nuts story made me smile my friend! I agree with Karen above, it's good that you sought help when you felt that you needed it. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how many times we count our blessings, and realize how fortunate we are, we just need that little bit more help. I loved that quote by Roger Housden. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!