Friday, October 25, 2013

The Happiness Jar

For my birthday this past spring, I asked for an empty jar.  This jar was to be the start of a mindfulness practice in which I would pay attention to the happiest moment or experience from each day, write it on a scrap of paper and drop it in the jar.  During a particularly dark time over the summer, I stopped making daily entries.  But now I'm finding that the heavy oppressive clouds are clearing, and I've resumed the practice once again. I thought it might make an interesting post to share some of the entries as we head into the weekend. I hope you enjoy!

This year, the happy moments were simple experiences that filled my heart:

Making my first quilted hammock for Emily's birthday gift. (She cried when she received it and told me that it meant more than any other gift she'd received).

Reading a love note from Richard that said "you wow my soul."

Visiting an old friend who I had not seen in a long time.

 Richard came home from work and asked Elliot what the best part of his day was.  Elliot said, "When you came home."

A bike ride in a rain shower, under a full rainbow.  Everything glistened in a mix of droplets and light.

Driving Richard to work early in the morning.

Sitting in our swing chair with Elliot while the sun warms our faces on a crisp autumn day.  Ozzie and Annie are at our feet.

Watching a lecture by Meng Tan about happiness, compassion and his quest to create the conditions for world peace in his lifetime.

A day at the water park with Elliot...riding the runaway raft ride while he tells me to "yell really loud!"

Walking through the woods to the lake, feeling the warm breeze and listening to the gently lapping water at the shore.

Date night at McCoul's with Richard.

Remembering to simply lay in bed in the afternoon and listen to music.

Summer vacation in Michigan: camping on the shores of Lake Huron, swimming in the cold waves, basking in the sunshine.  Riding to 7 Eleven with Emily for fountain cokes after dark, overhearing a local man tell a story that ends with the line "Well, I guess it's time to go home and finish drinking!"

Sitting outside all day with Elliot while he rescues an injured baby dove.  After dinner, it flew away.

A long run at sunset.

Elliot reading The Wizard of OZ aloud to us.

Blog friend visits (multiple entries in the happiness jar).

Elliot's birthday party.

Discovering forgotten money.


And there are many more, but this post is getting rather long!  Have a great weekend friends!





6 comments:

  1. My dear friend - those happiness jars are such a wonderful idea to remind us all of our many blessings. I keep a Thankfulness Journal, which is much the same thing. What wonderful things you have experienced and written about. They didn't cost much money, but they are priceless to you. I loved all of them, and I am happy that you feel up to putting things into the jar again now. Take care dear Jenny. This was a warm, uplifting post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I noticed as I was reading through my pile of "happy scraps" that most of the things that brought me joy were related to family and nature. I'm encouraged to continue on with the jar, but now I have to figure out what to do with all the little pieces of paper once it's filled! I love the idea of a thankfulness journal, which could be a deeper and more fully expressed record of a life well lived.

      Delete
  2. My heart is so full, my friend, from reading your list. It makes joy and gratitude overflow in me. I'm looking for an empty jar right now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the idea of a happiness jar! I know you will have so many rich and beautiful moments to document, especially with your new family member!!!!

      Delete
  3. Well those just brought tears to my eyes! You should make sure to write even in the dark days...I've had my share and it might help to bring some light when you most need it. Big hugs and kudos for this fantastic idea. I've lived long enough to know that it is just the kind of daily blessings that really DO make your life happy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sush, I'm happy that this post inspired you! And you are exactly right on about making entries during the dark times. Every day we are alive, there is at least one thing that happens that is worth appreciating and enjoying.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!