Sunday, November 3, 2013

Seven Rooms to Keep Me

I have been debating this thought:  should I take a complete break from blogging?  It's been kind of an off and on, hit or miss occupation for months.  While the impulse to write is strong, I feel hesitant about either subject matter or the insecurity that arrives with a habit of "oversharing." I feel drawn to engaging in life with my family and absorbing the beauty of the outdoors.  Technology is so addictive and habit forming; the internet captivates my interests and feeds my searching, wondering mind... but stands as a barrier against my creative writing.  With so much out there, why bother?  What could I possibly add to the massive amount of text that we'll never in twenty lifetimes be able to read?

 Then I remember that the heart of blogging is about the friends I am blessed to have here, and to stop would mean that I've become silent and withdrawn.

There has been so much I've learned in this space and I still feel like I'm growing from it.  It is a home were I find comfort. In one way that's wonderful, but in other ways, the comfort aspect allows me to be lazy with writing, and also incomplete in a fuller expression of meaning and imagery. I've discovered that critical academic type writing is not something I'm prepared to jump back into, but sometimes I feel like I must at least try to stretch my muscles on projects with a focus and deadline.


So at least for now, I'm continuing here.  A writing prompt I discovered in an old text book from the library has renewed my courage.  The prompt is to write about seven rooms in your life.  Knowing that places and people can open doors when there are writing blocks, I jumped at this thought and decided to post, in a series of installments, Seven Rooms to Keep Me.  I plan to post one per week for seven weeks, and finish near Christmas.  With my busy sewing season growing dormant, it's time to nourish my love for language again, while working through the challenge of spending too much time with technology and not enough time outdoors.  Unfortunately the first installment was written on a word document, and I need to figure out how to send it to my desktop computer so that I may print and retype it here.  The sun is beaming outside, with fall bursting everywhere!

I plan to have the first of Seven Rooms ready by tomorrow. I hope you enjoy this beautiful Sunday,

In peace,

Jenny







  


     






7 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenny, I'm so GLAD you are going to continue blogging! You always have such wonderful pieces, written so eloquently, and yet from the heart. I'm looking forward to reading the seven rooms of your life. Very intriguing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, with this space I have so much freedom; it's a space where there's no need to worry about lit critics and editors, publishers and sales. I have always loved the thought that once you make a habit of writing, the purer and purer streams of thought come out. I think if I were writing with the shadow of "marketing" words, those streams would freeze like a creek in the dead of winter. Perhaps it's just a matter of seeing this medium in a different light; variety is the spice of life!

      Delete
    2. And Shelly, your support and love means the world to me!!!! I am so very grateful to know you and read your stories and comments, which are full of love and perspective...your writing shows me the faith I sometimes forget that I have.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, dear friend I do understand the blogging no blogging dilemma. I haven't walked away from it for many of the same reasons. I do have such a special place in my heart for so many of my/our blogging friends and would hate to lose that connection. As you know, I've cut way back on my online time. Family and friends are first and foremost. Please don't go…and I look forward to your writing prompt! Much love~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Sush! I love that we have this connection. You have helped to heal my hurting heart by your sweet understanding of what it means to be a mom whose children keep on growing into adulthood. I treasure your wisdom and your kindness, knowing you is a beautiful blessing in my life!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny, glad you'll still be around in the blogosphere! I enjoy reading your sincere posts :)

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Duncan, the feeling is mutual! I learn so much about your beautiful part of the world, and truly enjoy seeing your sweet family as they grow.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!