Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chaos is the beginning of creativity


"Chaos is the beginning of creativity" When I read this line in Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight, the idea made perfect sense and provided a way for me to accept the current developmental stage of Knees and Paws. Despite my dilligence in maintaing a neat work area and devoting myself to the daily maintenance of a small business, it still feels like chaos in my mind, for the reason that every day, I learn how much more there is to learn and do. Web design, as one can see by visiting http://www.kneesandpaws.com/ is something that frustrates me. The version I have in mind is not what it looks like today. But instead of feeling ashamed at my attempt, I have decided to celebrate the fact that I am attempting to learn a new skill and not be ashamed at its humble appearance. In the end, I'll be able to laugh and have a good memory of the early days.


In creating something great, an artist or chef doesn't worry about how neat everything looks during the process. On a good day at my machine, when a new version of my product is being formed, there will be a pile of thread and scraps all around my feet and my clothing is full of loose fibers. It's strange, but I actually feel comfortable in a little mess, more comfortable than when the house is spotless after a day of housekeeping. It similar to the feeling of being in the garden while pulling weeds. It's messy but beneficial to the soul.

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!