Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chaos is the beginning of creativity


"Chaos is the beginning of creativity" When I read this line in Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight, the idea made perfect sense and provided a way for me to accept the current developmental stage of Knees and Paws. Despite my dilligence in maintaing a neat work area and devoting myself to the daily maintenance of a small business, it still feels like chaos in my mind, for the reason that every day, I learn how much more there is to learn and do. Web design, as one can see by visiting http://www.kneesandpaws.com/ is something that frustrates me. The version I have in mind is not what it looks like today. But instead of feeling ashamed at my attempt, I have decided to celebrate the fact that I am attempting to learn a new skill and not be ashamed at its humble appearance. In the end, I'll be able to laugh and have a good memory of the early days.


In creating something great, an artist or chef doesn't worry about how neat everything looks during the process. On a good day at my machine, when a new version of my product is being formed, there will be a pile of thread and scraps all around my feet and my clothing is full of loose fibers. It's strange, but I actually feel comfortable in a little mess, more comfortable than when the house is spotless after a day of housekeeping. It similar to the feeling of being in the garden while pulling weeds. It's messy but beneficial to the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!