Wednesday, November 14, 2012

At the intersection of frugal simple and rich abundance

I find myself standing at the intersection of four roads: frugal, simple, rich, and abundant.

Have I been limiting my thinking, my writing, my creativity because of frugal living and simplicity?

While gaining control over compulsive spending and debt, I've noticed that my home and clothing have begun to look plain.  My choices for decoration do not truly reflect what I really want to be immersed in.  The same conflict has occurred in other areas of my life, such as in our home school.  I want it to be a rich and vibrant place, full of interesting things to immerse oneself in.  I want it to be rich in poetry, art, science, music, great long stories or simple fables.  I want there to be colorful paintings on the wall, like the kind inspired by Marc Chagall and Franz Marc.  I want poems to be read and written every day.  I want there to be so many books laying around that it becomes a buffet, a feast for the imagination.


I want it to be a place for making things, like handmade Christmas gifts inspired by Hans Christian Anderson.



I want to keep writing deeper, more complex thoughts and not stop just because what I was initially thinking would fit into a status bar.

For example, I recently realized the potential for re writing an entire academic paper about Genesis.   All these years later, I finally have an interesting thesis statement.  Dear Becky Gibson,  I'm sitting here with my hand raised to offer my thoughts that the garden of Eden is a metaphor for childhood.

Too late, she is retired, and I no longer feel the need to be graded.

  At the time of the assignment, I felt like my head was a dense brick where no sensible, clear thoughts could move.  Back then I was standing at the crossroad of single motherhood and food stamps.  I collected cigarette butts in an apartment complex to pay my rent. I had bigger problems than trying to write deep probing thoughts about classic literature or scripture.

  Now things just seem to flow out of me like a river.  I could be writing for real, for serious pursuit.  Some days I feel like that.  I'm in this place of rich inspiration.  I no longer stand in the middle of the stacks at the library and find myself unable to make a choice.

 I used to stand on my porch and smoke and ask that great frustrating question:  Is this it?

I want to tell that person on the porch that there's so much more!  There's so much more in every moment, to do and to be and to think about and to make.  Don't limit yourself because you think you don't have enough money or time or patience or solitude.

Make one little thing and just keep on going.  The thing you made on the sewing machine will turn into a thought you can keep writing about.  The painting that you worked on yesterday will turn a whole room into a new space.

Just keep on going, there's so much more.  I want to tell that young woman on the porch feeling bereft and lost that there will be so much more, like going to see Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend perform your favorite songs while you stand in the arms of the love of your life.  I want to tell that person who decided to let go of her wishing to be a professional that Hans Christian Anderson escaped a dreary life by telling stories to children and making art.

I want to tell her to stop comparing herself to everything and everyone else and be who she really is, totally flawed but kindhearted.  To keep that part of herself even if she abandons all those pursuits that once made her happy.

Keep thinking about new things and old things and imagining what if.


8 comments:

  1. I think your advice to your younger self is rich and beautiful, and it would well serve us all to heed it.

    As cliched as it may sound, the settled depth maturity incubates allows us to reach so many more doors than we could when we were younger. I find that out more and more.

    And maybe that intersection of the four is more a merger, where they blend together and not in exclusion or contradiction.

    I really do believe your writing is going to be noticed in serious ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Shelly, I love your line "the settled depth maturity incubates." That is so true and beautiful. Adolescence seemed to hang on to me long into my young adulthood. I also appreciate that we can find this place where conflicting aspects of life like simplicity and abundance blend together; like a garden of lilies or a field of bluebonnets.

      Delete
  2. If only we our younger self would've listened!!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny. I just love your writing. It is so thoughtful and in-depth - you always come across as so wise to me. I love your advice to the younger you. It is so wonderful when simplicity and abundance come together. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, it's lovely to have you visit this morning, and it made me smile when I woke up today. Your friendship is part of that abundance that has enriched my life. Your attitude about kindness is a simple concept, yet one that has stayed with me from the time I first started reading Southhamsdarling. It has helped me to respond to people and situations differently. You've had an impact and a positive influence and I appreciate you very much.

      Delete
    2. What a lovely comment Jenny. I just needed that right now. Thank you SO much x

      Delete
  4. That was a lot of thinking going on there, Jenny. It hurt my head a little bit, but I read it several times until I think I got it. Simply put, as I've gotten older I am less afraid to put myself out there and say and/or do the things I feel are necessary and right for me. When I was younger I was so timid - didn't want to rock the boat or draw TOO much attention to myself. Even when I craved attention. It's a conundrum to be sure. When you're young you have the energy and passion, but as you age you have the wisdom (hopefully) and I think that makes up for a lot of energy and passion.
    As far as frugal, simple, rich, abundant: could it also be a state of mind? When one's soul is empty, no amount of riches or spending is ever enough. When you are fulfilled mentally, spiritually, and physically, you can have the humblest of lifestyles and yet it feels rich and abundant. When we have balance in our lives we are much more apt to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us, as well as better able to create it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your honesty makes me smile big. I'm sorry I gave you a headache with the dense thoughts that crowded in on this post. But I love what you said about being filled spiritually, mentally, physically and how that translates into a feeling of abundance even when we are living simply and economically. You have just described a beautiful paradox of life.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!