Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Mash-Up




I like things mashed up.  Like boiled potatoes and corn all mixed together.  Or avocado, tomato and onion in a bowl for dipping.  I like combining new finds that are actually old, with other even older junk in my house.  I've made a frugal lifestyle haunting resale shops.  Now that I've taught myself to sew, sometimes I am able to repurpose a scrap of fabric into something useful.  I enjoy the process of altering a room, especially when I begin to sense a difference in the amount of light or inhale a breath of warmer air.  The seasons change, and so does our interior.

Today was so much better than any day I've spent in the last two weeks.  Having the energy to turn on the vacuum cleaner for a little while led to a full day of housekeeping and redecorating.  Our classroom, which is really our dining room, was the focus of my energy.  We needed to reclaim the space for sharing a family meal, without packing away all of our learning activities.  If the books and games and puzzles were put away in a closet, I'm pretty sure they might stay there, forgotten and unused.  I needed to make a mash-up: a one room school house and a spring-themed dining room.

Our school name is "Learning Free and In the Wild" which I'm sure will be a name that inspires laughter in the admissions department of Elliot's future college.  We named it after a phrase used by Elliot's heroes the Kratt Brothers on the PBS Kids show "Wild Kratts."  At the close of every show, Chris and Martin Kratt remind viewers that animals should be left "living free and in the wild."   Another reason we chose this name is because we spend many of our educational days outdoors, exploring the wooded trails and lake near our home.  Wildlife biology is one of our big themes, and the subject which Elliot excels.  He knows more about animals in the wild than I've ever known, and mealtime is one of those times when Elliot becomes our teacher, sharing facts and stories he's learned from Chris and Martin Kratt, or from his observations outdoors.

So when I found a pair of pillow shams with a vintage wildlife print, I knew this was the perfect way to mash up the space.



Elliot made this ceramic bird house last year during his first pottery class.  I stuffed it full of dried rosemary and added some dollar store birds.

Emily is with us every day, in our hearts and our home.

The telescope was my dad's, and he gave it to us when we moved  to our house.  I have enjoyed  using it to see the moon and her seas and craters.



A good spot for reading!




I guess it's just that season when birds begin to nest!


Thanks to God for days of better health and a return of days with abundant light!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. I love it!
    Thank you for sharing. I love your creativity to put it all together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla! It was a feeling better kind of day...

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful space, and so suited to both purposes. I love how you seamlessly integrated what you needed for school into the great decor that will surround you as you share family meals. I also love Emily's pictures there, too, so she can have a presence in all you do.

    You are so creative, Jenny! If I tried to do something like that, I fear it would look as if a couple of raccoons had taken up residence in the room and brought along some of their messy cousins.

    I wish for countless happy hours of learning, fellowship, and love for you all in this beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny. First of all, I am so very pleased that you finally feel better and having more energy. What a difference that makes! I absolutely love how you have intertwined the school part of the room and the dining room part of the room. Like Shelly, I love the photos of Emily on the wall. I have lots of photos of the family all around me. I love that little reading spot and the telescope given to you by your dad. All in all, it looks a very warm, loving place my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I'm so happy to be feeling better.

      Delete
  4. I think my favorite things are Elliot's bird house, and the telescope. I've always wanted a telescope so I could look at the moon and stars. Maybe one day... I love the beautiful way you've integrated everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, the telescope is really neat and I really enjoy fiddling around with it on a clear, mild night. It means a lot to me that my dad wanted me to have it.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I am really trying to behave with the telescope by the window and the next door neighbors home in plain sight. I am. Really. Trying. Hard.

    As a former Admissions evaluator I can tell you YES, they will enjoy the name of your school, but no snickers, etc. We really saw how far ahead of the curve homeschooled students are. There is nothing but respect as far as I ever was aware for those that are fortunate to be home schooled.

    What a lovely room...Elliot is fortunate to have you as his caring Mom and his caring instructor. Love is reflected in love...
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Sush, you crack me up! The only Moon we want to see around here is the one in the big wide sky! And thank you for the insider information on college admissions. It's comforting to know that homeschoolers are respected.

      Delete
    2. And no matter where we store the telescope, there is a view of a neighbor on all sides. We are surrounded by alien life forms!

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!