Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mother's Day Blessings

There are a million impressions left upon me by my mother.  As a child I was drawn to her beauty.


Happy Happy Mother's Day to you, Mom!  Happy Mother's Day to all my blogging friends who are celebrating this day.  Your nurturing love spreads around the world and heals it.  I have a multitude of impressions on my heart from my mom.  Some were painful conflicts and misunderstanding.  Most were loving, nurturing and compassionate.  Mostly I know her as someone who loves people, who loves God, who is creative, artistic, and kind to everyone.  She is generous and forgiving.  She is sensitive to the needs of everyone, even those who are not in her immediate circle of family and friends.  Her intelligence about life and her perspective have shape my attitudes about mothering, about friendship, about strength in overcoming that which you thought you could never do.

To have a mom like my mom means that you are wealthy beyond measure for the duration of your lifetime.

As a child, I was drawn to her soft voice, to her dark, wavy hair, to her soft hugs and her laughter.  She is beautiful from the shining light within her soul, to the outer shell of her living being.  My mom is youthful in appearance and fun loving.  She enjoys life.  She takes time to listen to everyone, especially those who are experiencing grief or suffering.  Instead of seeking the corporate ladder, she left a secure job at GM to stay home to care for her three children.  Since then, most of her working life was devoted to helping people spiritually recover their emotional wellness.  She worked on the staff at a Hospice care center for many years.   Her work within the church has spanned decades.  Even though the kind of work she does is often heartbreaking and filled with sadness, she never complains about her calling to uplift and support people during the difficult parts of  life.

She is the kind of person you feel safe with.

She loves her children and cared for us with selfless devotion and kindness.  She read to us every day.  She hosted birthday parties for us, all the time!  She believed that imaginary play was essential to the health and development of every child.  I love my Mom.

My mom, age two.  She's holding a baby doll that I remember playing with when I was little.  It had a head of soft curly hair and a rubber body with arms and legs that were movable.
Here's my mom in her teen years.  I'm not sure if this was her senior or junior picture.


When I was 18 months old, my mom took me to visit my grandparents, who had retired in Florida.  Mom said that I carried a picture of my dad every single day.


Her soft, dark, wavy hair was one of my earliest memories.
Back at home, in Michigan, she created the perfect snowman.  Her artistic talents extended to everything in our home and the meals we enjoyed.







Here I am enjoying my second birthday cake.  How brave to allow a two year old to touch and explore the work of her heart!  I remember those clowns and the balloons.  I remember the scent of the sweet buttercream frosting.





I felt loved and special.  Even on the ordinary days when it wasn't my birthday.
My brothers and I were excited to go back to school in the fall, but it was also a little sad.  We loved being at home.





Please stop by to see parts two and three of my series of posts on Mother's Day.  I have photographs of Emily and Elliot to share!  

13 comments:

  1. How beautiful your mom is, Jenny, and how much you are like her, inside and out! I see where you get your creativity and artistry from, too.

    Loved seeing the childhood pics of you! I'm looking forward to your parts two and three, as well.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day Shelly! Thank you for your thoughtfulness and for your friendship. We are more alike than different. I have memories of my mom sharing her creativity in so many ways. On rainy days, she would spread newspaper over the kitchen table and give us scraps of fabric, yarn, markers, paint and pipe cleaners and let us make clothespin dolls. I love all those memories so much!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, moving and touching post in honour of your special mum for Mother's Day. How blessed you were to be brought up in such a loving environment, as was I. I still miss my dear mum and dad. Your mum has so many, many special and caring qualities, many of which I recognize in you my sweet friend. Delightful photos and I especially liked the one of your mum with her doll, aged 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thisisme! I love that we have wonderful childhoods in common. It helps so much to have a good start in life. I think that is why I'm an eternal optimist, even when things are bleak.
      I used to tell my mom that I wished I could have been her friend when she was a little girl.

      Delete
  3. I loved this post...it is such a responsibility, being a Mother. It's important that we acknowledge and assume the mantle. Your Mom is beautiful as are you...inside and out. If your are beautiful on the inside it can't but help to come shining out!
    I so enjoyed your photographs and watching you grow...what fun! Looking forward to the rest of the series!
    Happy Mother's Day, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sush, I really enjoyed going through and selecting these old photos. Time stood still for a little while while I remembered.
      Happy Mother's Day to you my sweet and kindhearted friend!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful tribute to your mom! You were such a cute kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your sweet mother. And how you look like her! I especially enjoyed the picture of you in your Brownie uniform - I remember mine too. Happy Mother's Day Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I was always a little disappointed that there were no actual brownines to eat during the Brownie meetings!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jenny! Thank you from the depths of my heart for sharing your blessed and loving memories and the precious expressions of your love for me. As a child with my baby dolls, little could I imagine the amazing and abundant blessings I have received when God sent you into our lives. You have richly blessed my life from before you were born. The day you were born, Dr. McGarva said, he had never seen such a happy new mother. When they brought you and I out to meet your father and Grandma and Grandpa, there were many tears of joy and much excitement. You were radiantly beautiful and the blanket was off your shoulder and Grandpa commented on how Beautiful you were. You were a glow of newness sent from Heaven. I have always wanted the very best for you and I always will. You deserve the very best of everything.
    I love and enjoy your writings, for I know your loving heart and your amazing gift of language arts. I feel very humble with such a precious gift of your loving heart through your tribute for me. Thank you from my heart always. I couldn't be more joyous and happier when God Blessed me to be your mother. Amazing Gift, How Sweet Thou Art.
    Seeing our early photo reminds me of our closeness and true connectedness. I would change where you laid or sat several different times each day. I would place you in your swing with music, or your little yellow seat, or a blanket on the floor or in our arms. When daddy came home he couldn't wait to hold you and talk with you. He loved you so. I remember Midget would put her toys all in a row and lay behind them looking and me while I was holding you. She was jealous but it wasn't long and she always watched over you to protect you. I had a portable infant crib that fit in the back seat and I would lay you in there when I took you in to Grandma and Grandpas on Pershing St. Midget would come too!
    As I view the photos you chose, when I came to the one of you, Roger Patrick, and Kenny holding the flowers for your Teachers, I broke down. The time goes so swiftly by. Those were precious times for us.
    Oh, I wanted to mention, the photo of me, was 9th grade at Zimmerman. I am looking forward to seeing your mother's day photos of Emily and Elliot and your additions on your wonderful Blog. I am deeply touched by who you are Jenny, and I always have been. I do pray that every precious life here will have loving earthly parents and also learn about their Loving Heavenly Parents, The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, and all the Angels and Saints who adore them.
    Thank you for Blessing me each and every moment of my life, I am excited about you and the Great Love in your Heart and how you share your love all around. I give my Thank You's to our God for you Jenny and for the Beautiful Wife and Mother you are.
    I really like the Tree Hugging Pillows you are making, they are precious. Dad use to hand out hug coupons in the Cancer Support Group and they remind me of that.
    Please watch your mail, for I have a mother's day gift that might me there on Sat. I love you with all my heart, and I am praying your mother's day will be filled to over flowing, shaken down abundant Love for you. Thank you for Blessing me as you always have, sending my loving warm hugs and Mother's Day Prayers, mom XXXXXXOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!