Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Prairie Homecoming

The village of Agency, Missouri is populated by 210 families.  It it set in the rolling farmland of the heartland of America.  The distance from Greensboro to Agency is 1068 miles.  Which is a manageable drive if you stop to sleep in Nashville.  But when your dog has a severe bout of diarrhea, you must keep on driving and stop frequently, making the trip an agonizing 24 hour ride.

It was all worth it.  This trip held every emotion, from frustration and despair to joy and love.  My husband's childhood home is a place where my perspective of life expands like the sky.  These journeys into the farms of western Missouri uncover things about myself that I fail to recognize at home.  Travel teaches and stretches my understanding for what is possible.  Upon my return, though tired and weak from emotional stress and a marathon drive, I find that I am driven to throw away limiting behaviors and work harder.  I am in a season of life where my body is strong and capable, my mind active and seeking.  The goals and hopes I have are elusive clouds on the horizon, but my joy is in the daily chores.

April is poetry, but June is a novel...full of afternoon storms and muggy heat.  It is the fading of spring blooms but the ripening of squash on the vine.  It is a boy and his dad, catching bass in the pond.

Elliot's first bass!  


It is a live theater performance in the beautiful cultural district of Kansas City.  Elliot decided that Shakespeare comedy is "silly, but true." I could tell that he was following the language despite the fast pace, when half way through, he swatted a bug and said "a fly goes before me."  HA!

If you ever travel to Kansas City in the summer, I highly recommend attending the Heart of America Shakespeare festival.  It is world class theater!  


June on a Missouri farm is peace.






And freedom.







It is place and time to renew the spirit and to refresh feelings of love for family.




2 comments:

  1. Despite the difficulty of the journey there, I'm so glad you all had such a rich time. It's wonderful to see family, and also as wonderful to see where our loves grew up, what helped to incubate them.

    I love what Elliot said about the fly- made me laugh out loud! And maybe it's just me, but has he had a growth spurt? He looks very tall!

    So glad you are home, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, we made a mad dash for the heartland and surprised Richard's mom. She was completely shocked to see us! I'm so happy that we were able to spend that time together. I do believe that Elliot is having a major growth spurt. His feet are almost as big as mine! He spent his young life like a little peanut and now he's taking off like a giant tree! Recently, one of his buddies gave him an overflowing basket of his clothing, most of which was too large for him at the time he received it. He's wearing all of those items now. I think he decided to grow just so he could wear those cool clothes from his best bud.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!