Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Tangle



Because this blog is not anonymous, there's a wide, deep river of life and dialogue that is happening under the surface of these weekly reflections. There are characters and conflicts, long discussions, life lessons and grief.  There are moments of loving kindness, freedom and joy, gobs of daily, boring routine, relationships that wax and wane in their intensity.

There are anecdotes and situations that arise with no apparent meaning, which call us to question and wait in a state of unknowing. 


And I leave those interesting bits out for the sake of privacy.

Yet still I am compelled to write through the complicated issues. To capture in some inadequate manner the emotional truth of events that bind us like the jumbled string of Charlie Brown's kite.  

So far, this is a season full of sunshine and children swimming, a season of discovering new running routes and blissful bike rides on the shaded greenway, a season of  playing music and creativity, a season of fireflies and feeding carrots to the horses that live on our street, a season of back yard campfires and nights spent reading Great Expectations aloud before bedtime.  It is a season of swinging in suspended chairs and hammocks under a canopy of dogwood trees.  With all this beauty, there's another, darker shadow.  A  tangle in my heart.  The kind of tangle that appears when someone we love, who lives far away, is experiencing cancer.  

This tangle also includes the knots of life-long relationships. The patient and the family surrounding this patient   are a mass of complicated knots.  I have learned, through painful interaction, that my role is extremely limited.  This is a drama from which I must observe from the shadows of the curtains offstage.

This is a tangle which will unravel without much interaction from me, except to observe and breathe silently along.

Today I pray for healing and the shrinking of tumors between people that no one can see on a scan.

There's also this complicated knot of feeling beautifully, vibrantly alive in contrast to another person's illness.  Have you ever felt guilty about simply being healthy when someone else is suffering?  I used to feel this way when my father was fighting the cancer in his chest.

I felt guilty to be alive and well.

My dad said, "My demise is coming."  He said he wasn't afraid to die.

But I am.  And I was afraid of that moment when I would have to say goodbye to him.  It was terrible.  It was fully of messy, salty tears mixed with choking sobs and snot and guilt.  Other people were in the room, so embarrassed by my pain that they left.  I don't know if he could hear or understand me, so bloated was his face, his mouth slack jawed and open, sucking air.

It was a time when I walked around wearing a cloak of helplessness, chain mail heavy.  I didn't know if I would ever be able to take off that cloak.

Some days, I still wear it.










10 comments:

  1. Jenny, I'm praying for your loved one. You put it so eloquently and beautifully. The incongruity of your own healthy body next to another's sick body is never an easy thing to process, especially with the sensitivity and deep compassion you shower so liberally.

    Beautiful words, and my prayers continue to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelly, those prayers are such a comfort, as is your faithful friendship.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post Jennifer. Sometimes the most important role you can play is observer. It gives you the opportunity to hold space and give space to those you want to be able to reach but can't. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alisha, the concept of "holding space" is a revelation to me. I love the potential of this idea. By holding a space of silence, you can share profound meaning. It doesn't mean you don't care, or that the situation isn't affecting your heart. That is power enough to take of the chain mail of guilt. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny. Another beautifully written post today and so well thought out. I often wonder if your words just come tumbling out, or does it take you an age to find the right words to commit to paper. I will also pray for your loved one my friend , that a miracle will happen. Cancer is such an insidious illness and we all know people that have been touched by it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thisisme, the writing process is such a fascinating topic for me that your comment is going to inspire a future post. Part of what happens when I click on that little pencil icon is a mystery to me. I don't ever know what's going to come out. I begin with a vague idea of what I would like to express, and then it takes form on the screen. Sometimes I'm able to recognize a pattern or hook into a metaphor (such as a tangle of string to represent a family). Sometimes a post doesn't come out very good, but I just keep going anyway for the sake of practice.
      I have been influenced by many, many writers and also by my years of hell at a writing intensive college, where I kicked and screamed under the weight of impossible assignments and impossible deadlines. Thank you for your prayers, and for your friendship. I'm now looking forward to writing a post about writing!

      Delete
  4. Jenny, your words spoke to me with their honesty and pain. I struggle sometimes with wanting to work through emotional landmines on my blog. Since it is public I have chosen not to. However I do have one that is for my eyes only. Writing is such a cathartic experience for those of us who truly use the written word to 'speak'.
    Prayers for your loved one and for you to find some solace.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sush, I love that you keep writing privately and keep a separate blog to share. That is a good solution. I have fear about writing "for my eyes only" because of several occasions in the past when my privacy was violated. Of course, that was when I was writing on paper with actual ink.
      I wonder if I would still feel uncomfortable about keeping a "secret" journal.
      Maybe there is a way to keep writing without naming people but yet still "speak" through the issues.
      The solace that came after I wrote this post was so liberating. Writing through the issues is one way to let all that negative energy out of my system. Thank you for praying and for your kindhearted, supportive friendship.

      Delete
  5. I always start feeling sick when my wife or children get sick. I felt physically awful when my wife was in the hospital giving birth even though I was actually "fine".

    Duncan in Kuantan
    Kuantan nature photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duncan, that is such an interesting phenomenon! You have a sensitivity to your family and deep empathy.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!