Sunday, March 16, 2014

Living History

This weekend, we were spectators of war.

It was part of our unit study on the Revolution.  Elliot and I have been learning about the events that led the colonists to unite and declare independence. Each spring, there is a battle reenactment on the grounds of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.  It is an impressive display of gorgeous costumes and camps.   

Elliot was able to sit near the front row of the battlefield.  

We learned that the Religious Society of Friends set up a temporary hospital in the meeting house.  A mass grave of Revolutionary War Veterans from both sides exists in the cemetery. 



















8 comments:

  1. GREAT blog post! It looks like we passed close to you a few times, both at the vendor's tents AND the re-enactment! Sorry we missed you, but I am glad someone could take pictures. I don't like going to events without my camera...makes me feel naked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamy! Thanks for stopping by today. I hope your camera is fixed soon. It was really a fun day. Maybe next year we can see it together!

      Delete
    2. It's at the shop right now getting checked on. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I'm pretty sure it will be a simple fix.

      Delete
  2. Great post. Just curious...where is this? What state?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, thanks for visiting! We are in North Carolina.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an amazing thing to get to witness! I would have loved to have seen it. One of my ggggggreat grandfathers was a 15 year old in uniform and witnessed the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. I always loved to teach literature from set in that time period. Looks like you all had great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly! Wow, to have a great grandfather at Yorktown! We recently discovered that we have a great uncle who worked as a millwright during this exact battle and that he lived in this area, probably six miles from our home. His brother also lived here, but by that time had joined the Religious Society of Friends. If you have literature suggestions from that era, I would love to read more!

      Delete
  4. Amazing event. And thanks for sharing with us. Loved all the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!