Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jomeokee



Jomeokee is the Native American name for Pilot Mountain.  It means The Great Guide and was considered  sacred. (was not the whole earth sacred then?).  While hiking on the Ledge Spring Trail, you can see ancient stone faces of mythical proportions jutting out from the walls, adding to the mystical feeling of being transported deep into a past where ceremonies might have taken place on the summit.  For 250 years, a tribe called the Saura lived at the base of the mountain and grew vegetables, hunted and lived near the abundant, life giving Yadkin river.  (A very interesting documentary about this river, including beautiful local flavor of speech can be found here: http://yadkinriverstory.org/yadkin.html)

  Jomeokee is a monadnock (meaning an isolated rock hill that rises from a level plain) estimated to be 500 to 750 million years old.  It is made of quartzite.  Geologists theorize that it was once a beach.  From Exploring the Geology of the Carolinas, "although Pilot Mtn is 2,421' above sea level today, its cliffs originated as white beach sands on the shores of an ancient ocean. About 540Mya, the Iapetus Ocean was lapping at the shores of Laurentia, the continent that later would become N. America. Laurentia's sandy beaches were probably similar to the beaches of the Carolinas today, except they were made up of almost pure quartz grains."(p.137)

One of my favorite stories about Jomeokee is told by a park ranger who hiked with us.  He explained that during training for deployment to Iraq, a group of soldiers built a rock staircase into the side of the mountain.  I have since searched for documentation or a newspaper story on this, to no avail.


 http://www.naturallyamazing.com/americasparks/7722.jpg


My back aches just imagining it...according to the ranger, the rocks were delivered via helicopter and put in place by the sweat, muscle, teamwork and determination of the soldiers.


What I loved about the trails that circled around this monadnock were the amazing rock formations and beautiful flora.  In the spring, the walls burst with with rhododendron and mountain laurel blossoms.  There are no bears in the area because highway 52 passes nearby.  At night while camping, we could hear the flow of traffic.  This sound keeps the bears away.  So, for me, this is the PERFECT compromise between my mountaineering husband who lives for the wilderness, and me, who is often  always afraid.

On our latest adventure to this location, we decided to camp. Normally we would make a day trip of it, as it only sits one easy hour north by highway.  But the weather was nice, school was out, and this campground looked inviting! Instead of tents, we took a risk and experimented with hammock camping.  Once he set everything up, our site looked like this:



On this trip, I was reminded that regardless of logic, I always encounter a little fear every time I find myself sleeping overnight in the woods.  This new situation was ripe for facing an unexpected fear.  Sleeping in a hammock did not afford the sense of security I longed for.  Even with brave Ozzie to guard our behinds now made vulnerable to wandering skunks, possums and racoons in the night, this didn't feel as heavenly as I imagined.  The first night it rained, and I ended up on the ground in a sopping wet backpacking tent instead of in the hammock.  I slept with my phone, which was so water damaged by the morning it was completely useless.

But losing it seemed an insignificant loss compared to what I gained.  This mountain is a place of reclamation for me; a chance to confront fears and enjoy spectacular trails without being completely traumatized by my over active imagination. Besides my imagination, I am also nervous about heights, especially if I get too close to a precipice (something in me has this insane urge to jump...and I find that I must force myself to back away...)  But keeping my focus forward, I felt fine.

  At the lookout on the top of Little Pinnacle, there is a wide viewing area that one can experience from a comfortable distance, or go closer if you enjoy that feeling of being suspended in the sky.  So I decided that this sign at one trail head must be for the seriously reckless fools who run and leap with wild abandon:



Some people might say that Pilot Mountain is not for serious wilderness seekers, because it is so popular.  I love it for this reason.  I enjoy the people we encounter.  Everyone says hi or smiles on the trail.


Even the rocks smile on Jomeokee


Is this for REAL?
Hiking boots are needed. And patience to navigate through rocks.

While hiking the Ledge Spring Trail, glimpses of the plains are visible.
There are places on the summit trails that take you near the steep incline, but also plenty of room to stay near the rock walls.


Farther down the mountain, there are miles of open wooded trails leading to the Yadkin river that are not bursting with heaps of rocks or steep inclines.  A gentle day hike would take you from the ranger station to the river and back.  It is magical on this trail due to the height of the trees, and a canopy which doesn't support a lot of underbrush.  I love hiking in the open, where I can see through the woods.  Walking through dense growth is unnerving...I don't like sudden surprises.



This time I came home feeling energized and excited for the next trip, instead of blissfully grateful for a house with four walls...but I have to admit, after all that hiking, I dearly missed my bed.


11 comments:

  1. I always enjoy other people's camping and wilderness stories, probably because I have no intention of ever doing it myself. I can see why you love it, though - it's beautiful, and the views... the VIEWS!! My idea of camping is a Marriott. I just don't like dust and bugs whining in my ears. However, I'm missing out on all that loveliness, so thanks for giving me a virtual experience! Elliott is a lucky little boy to have parents who take him camping! FYI: Mia wants to go camping, so for her birthday we sent her a 4 man tent with an air mattress. She's going to be so excited when she sees it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, camping at Marriott would by my first choice too...only because I am a horrible monster if sleep deprived. It's best not to talk to me for the first two hours of the day after a bad night of disrupted sleep. I might have to invest in an air bed with a memory foam topper and a really good pillow for the next trip. I think I hurt my husband's feelings by not sleeping out in the hammock. I hope Mia enjoys her thoughtful gift...if I were a kid that would be so exciting!!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great place. I too, love camping, but am chicken about a lot if things associated with the outdoors. Your pictures are really nice. Fun to have things the whole family can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie! I don't know why I am so afraid. I need to remember to lean on my faith more and be at total peace. I'm just not there yet. I don't like furry things with teeth and claws in the dark night....

      Delete
  3. Thank you for living an exciting existence with me. I await our next adventure with all the experiences that come with it. Love Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard, for challenging me to get out of my comfort zone and have some wonderful experiences. I'm so lucky to share this life with you! Love you so so much xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos.
    I love how you wrote up about your adventure.
    Well done!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned so much from reading this post! It is such gorgeous scenery, and my back ached, too, thinking of those soldiers building that staircase. Someday, someday, we will all go hiking up there together, I just know! And also wanted to let you know I am closing up my blog for a bit, but will be certainly checking back in on the blogs of my favorite people, of which you are one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly! I will also be blogging so much less during the summer. I look forward to catching up soon!

      Delete
  6. Sleeping outside freaks me out! I am so glad you had a great experience on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!