Monday, June 7, 2010

Into the Mountains















In three days, the Shenandoah National Forest will be my home for a week. These pictures were taken on past visits to the mountains of Virginia. They are post cards for my blogging friends before our departure. Thank you for any prayers you may send my way as I will be hiking between 10 to 15 miles per day in high elevations with a fully loaded (40lb) pack. I have looked forward to this trip for months but, just like a bride on her wedding day, I'm experiencing cold feet. I wanted to be in better shape.
There's a little part of me that is afraid. I'm trying to stuff that feeling down but doing so just makes the fear grow. First, I am afraid of bears. Second, I am afraid of sleeping in the forest in the dark. I am also afraid of fatigue and sore muscles. I am afraid of any freaky people that might be living out their days in the woods because they are hiding from the authorities. I am afraid of being lost. I have never spent one night in the woods unless it was in a campground with many other families around.
I am going to discover that I have everything inside of me to make it through. Thank you for being my friends. You've helped me work from home without feeling like a complete loner. Happy summer to all of you and I look forward to seeing you here again when we return.

3 comments:

  1. You will do fine. You are going to a beautiful place, that is basically God's Country. Those pictures are so cool - I especially love the sunset one - Have fun on your trip and be safe - E :)

    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author of the Junior Geography Detective Squad, 50-state, mystery, trivia series

    Where will the adventure take you next?

    http://jgdsseries.blogspost.com
    http://junior-geography-detective-squad.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a GREAT time! I will be looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun. Our family SO needs a vacation.

    I'm stopping by from SITS to say hello.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!