Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Local Flavor

We've spent many hours at our desks, building our business, building our vocabulary.  The sunny sky and fragrant life outside became irresistible.  This week in our area, the jasmine is in bloom and the strawberries are in peak season.  It was time for a field trip to Rudd farm.



























So we headed off on a whim.  We didn't even make time to pack a lunch at home, but bought some chicken wings and chips at the grocery store on our way out.



























We made sure not to eat too much, anticipating what we'd be dining on later in the afternoon.



























We were like bears in the woods...



















































Foraging for fruit in its prime.



























The fragrance of strawberries was something that helped me to quit smoking several years ago.  As I worked in the field today, a silent celebration was going on in my heart.  How wonderful to be here, in this moment with my son, sharing an activity that I used to do for my first paid job.

While we picked, we listened to the other gatherers, and tasted another local flavor.  The flavor of a regional dialect, spoken between a farmer and his customers.  Spoken between people sharing recipes and weather predictions.


























After our time in the strawberry fields, we took a peek inside the greenhouse.  We learned about the impact that the declining number of bees has on our farms.  Without bees to pollinate the crops, the growers at Rudd Farm used electric toothbrushes to do the work of bees.  I thought this was a genius adaptation.


6 comments:

  1. Great pictures making me so hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea, to just set off like that with your son and do a fun thing. We should all do things like that more often! I absolutely love strawberries and try to eat them most days, mostly with my morning cereal. Those in your photos looked scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day trip! I love your photographs and your writing is nothing short of superb. Again I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, I loved the post.. it made me have tears in my eyes.. not so much sad ones.. but you are So lucky for the moments you are experiencing right now. I see the pictures and read the post and it brings back so many memories of doing this with my kids.. and thinking the same things.. how it was my first summer job.. and I can smell the dirt and the berries and hear the farmers talking.. and I miss doing this.. but in a good way. I am so happy to be friends with you and watch you enjoying and cherishing the moments you have, Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful outing you and your adorable young son were able to enjoy together! It reminded me of strawberry-picking times I shared with my own children when they were young. Your basketful looked absolutely delicious...so plump and ripe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!