Monday, May 2, 2011

A Friendship Blog

This blog has changed. 
I'm am happy to say that what began as a "business" story blog is now a friendship blog. Today, on my fortieth birthday, I am in a much better place than I was ten years ago.  In the last decade, I moved from Michigan to North Carolina, was divorced...embraced independence while struggling as a single parent, worked at three different jobs, finished my degree, learned hang gliding, fell in love, had a baby boy, bought a house, was married, stopped smoking, renewed my faith with the Religious Society of Friends, experienced the death of my father, started a business, began homeschooling, became a dog owner, learned to blog, taught myself to sew, wrote a patent application, hiked a section of the Appalachian Trail, and best of all, made new friends.

When I write posts now, it is not to a vague "somewhere out there" audience.  I share my thoughts now in the comforting company of people like Michelle, Corinne, Thisisme, Angie, Odie, Lori, and lots of unnamed friends who read without comment.  I appreciate you because of your kindness and presence here.

Today I especially want to thank my Mom.  For my life.  For spectacular childhood birthday celebrations, especially the year when I turned six.  My mom is an artist who shares her work with her family. I remember that this pink castle cake took all night to decorate.  And although I was more tomboy than princess, I was thrilled with this cake.  I felt incredibly loved and special because of this extravagant gift.


That year, I also received a pair of fantastic blue roller skates.  I wish I still had those skates and a basement to roll around in.  One of my favorite childhood memories involves skating in our basement to my mom's Jan and Dean record "Dead Man's Curve".  I took those curves like a race car driver.  Without a helmet.

 So thank you Mom, for assuring that I had a great childhood, full of love, creativity and play.


And thank you to my Grandma who is not with us now, but who continues to influence my life.

9 comments:

  1. This made me tear up... imagining a night filled with cake making and creating for a six year old you :) How incredible!
    Happy birthday sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sat here feeling quite emotional, Jenny! What a lovely post, and a wonderful tribute to your much loved mum (that cake was fantastic!) and lovely that you have remembered your grandma as well. Wishing you a very happy 40th birthday (I think I already mentioned to you that my oldest daughter will be 40 in June. Eeeek!!). I can't believe all those things that you have done since you were 30, including hang-gliding. Phew! You should feel very proud of yourself now that you have reached 40, and I can promise you that life just gets better and better! Have a super day dear friend. (Thank you also for your very kind comment over at my blog today).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday on the big 4-0! Mine is tomorrow. Not the big 40 (i did that awhile ago)Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a wonderful post and I share your feelings about blogging. I consider mine a friendship blog which can be especially plain given my recent two blogs introducing some of my freinds to others. I was messed up when I started my blog and through the kind words and prayers of many of my blog family I am a happier person today.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a truly beautiful, heartfelt post, Jenny! I am thrilled Thisisme sent me over to meet you.

    Big Birthday hug! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. how wonderful! what a great tribute to your mom. love the cake!

    happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday *big hugs* I more than agree with Thisisme, all that you have done is amazing and hang on because it does get better after 40 :)
    That cake is amazing!! I share the roller skating in the basement memory with you... reading what you wrote brought back memories of how it felt to be in the basement with the music on and going as fast as possible around the corners. Not sure I could stand up on them now.. but I sure thought I could fly back then :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HaPpY BiRtHdAy! I enjoyed your post, you have had an exciting decade I hope this one treats you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very Happy Birthday for yesterday to my Birthday twin and a Welcome as a new follower of News From Italy. I do hope you will enjoy sharing our little piece of Italy. I certainly look forward to getting to know you as I follow you back :) Please note due to pressure on my inbox I do not subscribe to comments.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!