Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ozzie Loves Omlettes

Ozzie loves Omlettes because every time I make one, during the flipping, a little puddle of egg lands on the floor.  Lately I've been expanding my interest, and hopefully, skill in preparing various Italian, French, and Mediterranean dishes.  My all time favorite dish from Italy is Chicken Piccatta.  I grew up eating French since my father lived in Paris during his time in the service.  It makes me smile to remember how involved he would be in the building of sauces and how attentive he was about the meat and vegetables.  He loved Julia Child because she translated so many mysterious processes that were until then, an exclusive secret of those who spoke the language.  I learned from him, standing at the stove, side by side, as he whipped eggs and melted real butter to glaze the pan for omlettes, and when he patiently stirred the wine as it reduced into a sauce that sent everyone into a famished state just from the aroma.  He made soup with a variety of vegetables he grew in his beautiful garden.  If anyone wants to know the real secret of how to stay thin and eat really really well, the answer is soup.  Growing up we dined on a variety of Dad's soup from a pot that seemed to never empty.  The great thing about soup is that it keeps getting tastier the longer it bubbles on the stove.  And the flavor and steaminess of broth always comforts one in a feeling of love and appreciation. 

This morning I dined with Ozzie, sharing an omlette layered with a divine slice of cheddar and a few bits of onion.  My friend from New Orleans had recently gifted us with a can of French Quarter coffee with chickory, so I was really feeling spoiled.  I love mornings better than any other part of the day.  Especially a balmy summer morning, when my windows are open to birdsong and the scent of blooms and dew soaked earth.  As day marches on, it is bound to bring a series of tasks and expectations.  But the morning is mine.


5 comments:

  1. I love mornings, too, Jenny, and I can tell that you and Ozzie are having a splendid one. My black Cocker Spaniel Toto is a beggar and I always give in and share table scraps with her. As a girl Mrs. Shady learned the art of cooking from her father who owned one of the better restaurants in Baltimore. Mrs. S loves to cook and isn't afraid to deviate from the recipe and experiment. When preparing a meal for a family gathering she takes her good old time. When the meal is finally served everyone is ravenous from breathing the fumes for hours. It's always worth the wait. Happy WW to you, Ozzie and your entire family, dear friend Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! I'm sure I would like Mrs. S very much! Learning those skills and having the inspiration and courage to experiment with food from my father's lead has increased the quality of my life. Now that I'm lactose intolerant, ninety percent of food in the grocery store contains milk or forms of milk in the ingredients. If I didn't know how to prepare tasty meals that are not processed I might starve.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed that omelette right there with you and Ozzie through your writing. I could just about smell the soups you were describing, and it made my mouth water.

    Lovely, lovely way to start the day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. French cooking is the best, isn't it? All of the sauces.... mmmmm... but you have to be patient! No quick meals there, but the aromas wafting through the house are amazing. I'm a morning person too - I love the quiet peace of the mornings, and the way the light looks when the sun is still low. You painted a lovely picture for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi-
    I like how you describe mornings...I feel the same. Great way to share it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!