Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On Our Way to Somewhere

"Everything is on it's way to somewhere.  Everything." --- George Malley in Phenomenon



     This morning I woke up earlier than usual, made coffee and turned on the television. I scrolled through listings of movies with thumbnail images, hoping for something not overly violent or suspenseful.  I woke up to death anyway, but it was a beautiful experience.  I wanted to ease into my day feeling uplifted. Usually great writing or nature will do this, yet I often forget to look for beauty on the other screen in the house, where human nature is on colorful display.  I landed in the last 40 minutes of Phenomenon, a movie with thought provoking quotes that Richard spoke to me during the first weeks of our relationship.  At that time, I was too busy being in love to watch the movie that made such an impression on him.  Nine years later, he came downstairs and found a snuggled up me watching one of his old favorites and sat close.  It was a great way to start the day. It reminded me to enjoy the love of my life as if we are both on our way to that somewhere beyond, instead of focusing on the illusion that we are on a hamster wheel. 

      Lately I've encountered spiritual teachings on how we get beyond the mind-chatter and the negative voices within. From these ideas,  I discovered that I am resentful and angry if I feel challenged during conversation, no matter that the challenge is provided to improve the quality of my thought or expand my perspective.  Although we might agree on the most important values of life,  often I feel tension and conflict and have trouble sitting back and letting things pass, like leaves floating down a river.  I want to live up to the statement spoken aloud that Elliot asked me to write down, which is my claim that "the loudest, angriest person is not always right."  I found myself at a crossroads.  I thought, well, I can either become furiously mean and angry, amplifying the assertion of my right to experience what I'm feeling and thinking, or I can get really quiet, calm and unresponsive.  I could just be quiet and that would deflate an argumentative discussion.  I tried both.  My loud, emphatic, angry response was more effective, or maybe more damaging.  I wasn't "right" but I had a lot of defensive feelings that burst out. It seems I have more work to do.

My outburst sparked a change, first because I stood up for myself, which is not easy to do.  I like things to be peaceful and I like to stay calm and enjoy my day without drama.  Second, it drew attention to something rumbling under the surface that needed more than a band-aid style fix up.  Third, it helped me to realize that I no longer need to ruminate in silence, wondering how to solve the problem.  Action, even a loud action, meant that I was working toward understanding instead of hiding it under a blanket of silent suffering.

After my outburst, the negative mind chatter related to that issue was suddenly silent.  It also helped the memories attached to that problem, the pattern that went on behind the anger, to melt away.

I'm recovering my sense of peace by tackling a physically demanding project.  For me, repetitive, physical tasks like cleaning the house, sewing, gardening or refinishing furniture release me from the mental loops that keep circling without an answer, maddening me with obsessive, negative thoughts.   I want to put to death the inner critic, get off the manic language train.  So I go to work on something else.

I'm on my way to somewhere.







12 comments:

  1. Very nicely written post, Jennifer. I think there is better perspective in life when we have a firm destination.
    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan, thanks for stopping by today. I agree that it's important to look forward!

      Delete
  2. You took a big step out of your comfort zone, and I'm glad it paid off. It's so scary to move out of that which is a familiar, ingrained response into a respnse that is so different.

    The beauty of stillness deep within is that is promotes such amazing growth.

    Keeping focused on the greater goal, instead of immediate circumstances, and recognizing that you and your husband have a life beyond the present is so valuable. I also love how you two were able to enjoy one of his favorites togethe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, I was thinking about what it would be like to face having to live without him. The movie really brought that into focus for me. I don't know why I struggle so hard with this. I hope that when we're really old, we will look back and laugh at the intensity of our discussions and be grateful for the peace of understanding and compassion. In fact, I hope that happens very soon.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny. Your posts are always so well thought out, and I am also in awe of Shelly's replies! You both seem so wise, and it leaves me struggling for words sometimes! I think we would all prefer our days to be relatively peaceful, without too much drama, but I guess that we must go with our innermost feelings sometimes, and speak out and stand up for ourselves. I can understand how routine and repetitive tasks would help you with your negative feelings. I don't feel that I'm being much help here, but I've honestly never had obsessive negative thoughts (well, sometimes negative thoughts obviously) but not in a way that causes me any bother! I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Certainly, I can see that silent suffering is not a good thing, because it would cause a lot of stress within the body, and that is not good for you healthwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, Thank you for stopping by today to encourage and cheer me up! I sometimes find myself falling into an old pattern of focusing on years of this type of relationship struggles. I really would love to get beyond it. Thankfully this evening, I talked with the love of my life and told him how much I love and value him, and that I was sorry for blasting him with my angry words. Really, if he were gone from my life I would be totally lost. He's my best friend. Our conversations are like tennis matches. Sometimes I just hit the ball back in an angry way.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had that talk with Richard and let him
    Know how much he means to you. What is it they say, "we always hurt the one we love"? I'm as guilty of that as the next person and always feel bad afterwards! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. catching up... i've missed our "chats" since my job has gotten so busy. but... i do enjoy what i'm doing these days so it's all good. again and again, i find myself coming back to your blog to see what deep thoughts you're sharing and how your words will inspire me. keep on keeping on...

    your posts are so in-depth and meaningful. love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa. I was just considering this idea that many times my posts deal with the same mood, the same issues, the same struggles I try to get past. I keep circling back to the ones that are most challenging for me, but I often wonder if I'm like a broken record, or write like Nora Jones sings: with the same mood; sleepy, a little sad, a little slow.
      I like Nora, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't listen to her every day.
      I'm glad that you keep returning even though you are really busy. I love and value our friendship.

      Delete
  6. It's good that you are able to recognize what's going on - it's the first step toward making changes. I'm like you - I don't like to be challenged. For some reason it makes me feel "less." Dont' know if that's what it does to you, but I am working on just being quiet for a minute before responding. I find that I can actually think and react in a more appropriate way, instead of just striking out. I'm not always successful, but I'm a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, yes! It does have the effect of downgrading my sense of worth. I keep wanting to confirm my right to speak without being shut down. The interesting thing is that Richard is a philosopher at heart. Even though he works in a technologically demanding field, he loves debate, intellectual challenge and drawing out issues. He loves to play "devil's advocate" to get deeply into conversations. I loved that about him in the beginning. I craved his intellect as well as his body and soul. But do I feel frustrated? YES. Often.
      It's great that you mention being quiet before responding. He says he gets loud because he doesn't feel listened to. I guess I haven't made enough of an effort to show that I am listening, and that might solve a lot of this. So, thank you for sharing your experience. It really helps.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!