Sunday, August 19, 2012

Rainy Day Gratitude

This morning it's raining! Beautiful rain making puddles in my garden! Rain that makes the house feel like a home. Rain that is a relief from southern summer sun. Today I'm going to do a lot less thinking and writing, and a little more showing.  If I were to write a gratitude list for Sunday, my list begins with family and friends, and follows with a beautiful place to live.

We are growing a tomato plant that is actually five tomato plants that grew together.  I named it Audrey.  So far, only two have ripened but it's loaded with beautiful green orbs!
Rain falls in a curtain outside the screened in porch. 
A favorite spot for watching Elliot play outside.
This is the entrance to the front door. 
I love this tree in our front yard.
Rain on the window pane reminds me of when I was a child, watching droplets fall.
Our kitchen island is a century old baker's table, which Richard fixed up with a new top and legs.  The veggies are from the local farmers market.  Unfortunately we didn't do as well as we hoped with our own garden.
This is our dining room.  Lots of thanks are given around this table.  Elliot regularly thanks God for EVERYTHING.
This is the central area of the house, and what you see if you walk through the front door.
This is our next project, converting a closet into a LEGO build room.
Elliot's room....he sleeps under a tree that he helped to paint when he was in Kindergarten.
This is my current project, refinishing an old dresser.
A puddle reflects the leafy canopy in the front yard.   



   I am so thankful to live in a beautiful place, with friends and neighbors who make it even more enjoyable. 

12 comments:

  1. How lovely is your world, Jenny! I so enjoyed the walk through it, and the rain this morning. Even though it's been about 4 months since we've had rain at all, just seeing it in your photos takes me there, even down to the aroma of it in my nose. Your home is full of warmth and love and a wonderful way to start the day. When it does rain here someday, and it will have to, I am going to stand in it and do a little dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, I don't know what I would do if I had to live without rain for four months. I guess that's what it means to live in an arid climate like Texas, but wow! Praying you get to dance in the rain very soon! I'm glad you could come over and visit me at home this morning. It is one of those wonderful days between the oppressively humid and sweltering hot summer days and the coming of autumn.

      Delete
    2. Jenny: It's raining here! Hard!!!! After so many months of nothing, it's here!!! And I danced in it!!!

      Delete
    3. I am thrilled for you and everyone who needs this life giving blessing! I'm gobsmacked that it happened today! Yay!!!!

      Delete
  2. Well, when you live in the UK you get used to the rain. It's a regular part of our daily lives although the last two days have been dry and hot but we all know it won't last! Love the trip through your house. It's lovely. A real home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalind, Thank you for stopping by today! I know that this must be rather boring for you, but for us it's pure excitement!

      Delete
  3. Oh Jenny - it's so beautiful where you live, and you've made your home lovely too. I do appreciate a summer rainstorm - wish we had more of them around here, but they're mostly towards the mountains. So lucky you to be enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I do feel lucky to have the rain and to live here, despite some unsavory politics, copperhead snakes and oppressive humidity. California seems like a dream in comparison; but maybe it's a mythical place in my mind due to the movies and television shows.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jennifer, it was nice to see some images of your house and lovely gardens. All the best with Audrey!
    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan, thanks for visiting today! I'm still patiently waiting for red tomatoes!

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!