Wednesday, October 10, 2012

On Instincts

In the early darkness, in the cold, I've put on the flannel sheets and gone to bed early with a very fat book called Women Who Run With the Wolves by Estes.  I checked it out at the library not because I'm a feminist but because it contains old stories from oral tradition.  One of Estes' interpreted messages that I feel conflicted about is the idea that women should remember to listen to their instincts.

So while I'm reading along, I'm thinking, what she really means to say is to remember to listen to the still small voice, to emotional prompts, to intuition, to feelings, to preferences, to things that bring peace.  In my interpretation she's really saying to to be aware of feelings of conflict and not ignore the repelling or offensive jolt.  The one little word instinct caught my attention. 

 Instincts are not something we need to listen to, because by definition they must:

  •  be automatic
  • be irresistable
  • occur at some point in development
  • be triggered by some event in the environment
  • occur in every member of the species
  • be unmodifiable
  • govern behavior for which the organism needs no training.

Honestly, I would have a very difficult time trying to separate the things I do that are instinctual from the things I've learned to do.

Except maybe eat and sleep.


So I'm having a little argument with the writer in my head as I read along.  I do enjoy some of Estes' insights so far, but it's really dense and full of jungian psychology.  I admit that I have trouble with the discipline of psychology because it requires me to imagine that I have such a thing as a subconscious.  If it's subconscious, then I've not experienced it directly, I'm only consciously aware that it exists because I have been told that it exists, or that it theoretically exists.

 

Have you read this book?  Should I keep slogging through?  Was is worthwhile?  Did it change you or help you to be closer to your inner self?  Perhaps I'll scan through and just read the oral story portions.

If you haven't read this, but are reading something else right now that you love, please share!  I'm returning to the habit of books and trying to spend less time online.


4 comments:

  1. That's on my list to read, actually! I love hearing your thoughts on it. Seems like it would be an incredibly thought provoking book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne, I think it's a worthwhile read, but there's a lot of academic type speak to get through. The messages are good. Last night I read a page and it was like she was holding up a mirror to my life.

      Delete
  2. I've not read the book, but haven't you ever had a feeling to do, or not do something? To stay away from something you'd planned to do, or to call someone when you don't really know why you should? To wait a second after the light turns green before entering an intersection? Instinct. Inner voice. Still small voice. Whatever you call it, you should listen to it and act accordingly. Every time I've ignored it, or talked myself out of it, I regret it. Even something as small as a feeling that I should give someone a compliment or speak a kind word (and I try to tell myself they're going to think I'm nuts) - it's turned out to be the right thing to do every single time. The one time I felt I should wait a minute and have a good look before taking off on the green light, I was glad I listened. I'd have been T-boned by a guy running a red light if I'd proceeded. I've learned to listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Karen, I agree! I suppose it's not important what name you call it by, the feeling or the awareness is the same. Listening is a skill that I've learned to develop as time rolls on. I'm glad you are a listener, too.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!