Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Scary Halloween Story: Jenny does the MATH

Happy October Friends!  In the spirit of all things spooky and scary on Halloween, I have a nightmare on Knees and Paws street to share.  Cuddle up with a blankie, light the candles and think brave thoughts...

Long ago, in the time of yore, when I was in seventh grade, I became stricken with a math phobia that clouded my life.  This phobia extended to a habit I developed of never remembering a person's phone number, as it just flew out of my brain as soon as my ear received the string of abstract numerals. 

If anyone were to imprison me as a hostage, the way to terrorize me would be to seat me at a desk and order me to complete algebraic formulas, long division and timed multiplication tests.  Then, when I've made a mess of the paper with my tears and smudged eraser marks, check everything wrong with a big red pen and never tell my why I miscalculated.   Write a big fat F at the top with a frowny face and make me feel like I'm permanently defective, a lost cause, an unteachable wretch.

In those days I never would have believed that one day I would pass my Praxis exam on the first try, one point above utter failure in math.  It was a major victory, which helped me to actually look at my check book once and a while.

My husband is a gorgeously handsome, loving, affectionate, intelligent, spiritual guy who knows how to kiss...but friends, he can do the math.  I depend on him for that.

 Through his complete understanding of all things mathematical, I have gradually released my firm grip on numeral aversion. 

So, three years after starting my Knees and Paws shop, I did some math!  I don't mean the kind of math where you check the bank account figures and either breathe a sigh of relief or grab a box of tissues and go back to bed.

This week, I found a formula for pricing an item and figured out the actual real numbers behind a set of products that I offer.  It turns out that my prices are closer to wholesale than retail.

Here's the formula:

Note: For a handmade item, labor is 10.00 per hour minimum.

If it takes me one hour to complete a set of cat ears, paws and tail, the basic black cat costume accessories set adds up to the following:  (warning: the following contains graphic images of NUMBERS!!!)

Time per hour + 2 (cost of materials) x 1.1= wholesale price.  Wholesale price x 2= retail price

So here we go:

One half yard of basic black cuddle plush (not faux fur, I mean the economy version) on sale works out to 6.50.  Thread, satin, headband and poly fill bring up the material cost to 8.50.  Packing materials cost 1.50, making a beautiful round number of 10.00 for materials.

Double that, and we have 20.00

Add in one hour of labor  10.00

x
1.1= wholesale price    33.00

Double that for retail    66.00

don't forget the gas!      4.00 per trip to the fabric store.  If I'm purchasing multiple yards then the cost is distributed to approximately .50 per item.  Taxes in North Carolina come to approximately 5.00.

66.50 + 5=  $71.50

When selling on Etsy, the customer pays shipping, unless I offer a free shipping sale.

To California, this might be an extra 8.00 just using standard USPS mail, not priority.


 But this story has a happy ending.  I do what I do for the love of it!  Last time I checked, there is no formula to calculate love.




5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, Jenny, I have mental allergic reactions to math. Just like you, it started when I was very young and has persisted all the way to this advanced age.

    I am so happy for you, though, that you have broken free! I am also glad you have discovered the formula for correctly pricing your darling mechandise.

    Your last line is the best of all~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, hahahaha...advanced age. You are young yet my friend. I heard a science loving friend say that our brains actually change as we age, and this includes development in the area that processes math. Maybe I just wasn't ready. I bet if I went back to school now it would be much more manageable.

      I doubt I would ever price a set of my kitty accessories that high! It's no fun having a sale once in a decade.

      I also sort of think charging over 70 for those items would be offensive. I guess that's why I'm not in a higher tax bracket. I don't yet think like a millionaire.

      Delete
  2. I totally share your horror of maths! Even at my much more advanced age than Shelly! I guess figures will always be the stuff of nightmares to me! Well done you for escaping from that horror!! (Well, I'm going along with the Halloween theme here!). I like that you do what you do for love - that's far more important my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really something else : )
    Math scares me too.
    Scares me like crazy...in fact, when Kaishon pulls out the math folder at night, I want to cry.
    P.S. I am glad you married a good kisser ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Jenny,
    Oh, I found that I am totally same as you, Shelly and Diane. I have no aptitude for science p;) And my retired bank clerk husband is really good at numbers like your wonderful husband.
    I enjoyed to read the way you wrote hostage, terrorize thing. And of course felt warm to read "no formula to calculate love"
    Lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!