Wednesday, October 17, 2012

When The Pieces Fall into Place

While the leaves are making soft landings, things here are falling into place.  Over a year ago, while brainstorming all the things I wanted to do with my Knees and Paws shop, one idea for an add-on product stuck with me.  I wanted to create a light weight "pet house" for kids who loved to play puppy.  Two weeks ago, while standing in line for fabric, I struck up a conversation with a customer who was crafting her own version of a playhouse for her three year old granddaughter.  I asked her all kinds of questions about the structure, and how she planned to build the internal parts.  Her idea was to use PVC pipes.  This wouldn't work for me because I don't want to worry about shipping that kind of bulk through the mail.

Then, just this morning, my good friend Corinne posted a status about making handmade gifts for her children for Christmas and asked her friends for ideas.  In the comments, someone posted a link to a McCall's pattern for a play house.  So I went to Amazon and conducted a search myself.  Minutes later, I ordered a pattern for a playhouse that fits over a card table.  It was the perfect size and shape that could be customized into a pretend "pet house."

http://www.amazon.com/McCall-Sewing-Pattern-M6369-Childrens/dp/B005E93GAI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2







So today I'm inspired! And excited!  I plan to host a big Christmas giveaway here on the blog that will include one of the pet houses, a set or two of Knees and Paws with assorted toys and accessories.  I am so excited to have something to work on after the Halloween rush is over.  

7 comments:

  1. That is perfect, Jenny! Even at my age, I can imagine the fun it would be spending hours playing in a pethouse like that. With your creativity, I know it will be magical.

    Inspiration at the start of the morning sweetens the whole day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, thanks for visiting today! Every time Halloween passes, my shop suddenly gets so quiet you can hear a pin drop. The timing of this new idea will keep me upbeat and eager to keep going. My business was never meant to be a Halloween costume shop, and I have made peace with the fact that most people think it is. While I love to take requests and meet the desires of the customer, this project is something that I've wanted to do because it fits with the original Knees and Paws, which were made especially for the pet pretending kids. I know they must be out there!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny. Children of all ages always love a playhouse, and this really is such a great idea to fit a cover over a table like that. Just think of the fun you will have thinking about what covers to make up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Thank you so much for stopping by today! It always feels like the sun is shining when you're here. I am excited to start this new endeavor! Lots to think about!

      Delete
  3. Jenny, what a great idea! So many kids will spend hours in a clubhouse/playhouse constructed of blankets and sheets thrown over tables and other furniture. I really like this idea a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! That is a wonderful idea and I can see how so many kids could benefit from it - and parents, too because it doesn't take up permanent space when they're not playing with it. I'll have to get in line to buy one for Anna (and maybe one for my WA grandkids, too). I love your craftiness! Let me know when you have one for sale and how much. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!