Monday, December 10, 2012

Living Inside of Time

Life-long learning means that sometimes I find a huge gap in my education that needs to be filled.  How did it happen that I somehow missed ever knowing the name Ruth Gruber?

Last night, sitting in my thickest socks, drinking tea with a blanket and a head cold, I watched the brilliant Ruth Gruber in a documentary of her life called Ahead of Time.  While I leaned closer to hear the mind blowing story of her life, my heart leaped at several points, the first being the moment when she tells her father that she doesn't want to be a secretary or a teacher, but a writer.  The second was when she described this concept of "living inside time."

During my journey with the Religious Society of Friends, I've discovered the benefits of waiting, patience, sitting, and silence.  But this concept of time was new to me, even though it made perfect sense.  Today, as a way to open the workweek, I want to share a passage from the introduction of Gruber's book Inside of Time.


     "It was on my first trip to Alaska during WWII that I learned to live "inside of time."  I might be sitting in a place like Nome.  I would send a radio message to Anchorage for a bush pilot to pick me up and fly me to Point Barrow.

     The answer would come back--- "See you Tuesday, WEAPERS."  "WEAPERS" meant weather permitting.  Tuesday came.  The next Tuesday came.  Then the next, but no bush pilot. Usually it was the weather.  Or the pilot was sick or on a binge.

     Until that fateful voyage, I had been a restless fighter against time. If the elevated train from my shtetl in Williamsburg, Brooklyn to Manhattan was a few minutes late, I screamed at it under my breath like a longshoreman.

     Now, instead of sending my blood pressure rocketing, I began to use the days and weeks of waiting.  Wherever my lap was became my desk.  I could fill more pages in my notebooks, send more reports to Harold L. Ikes, secretary of the interior---for whom I was working as field representative and later as special assistant---and interview more people, especially the Eskimos, whose serenity and affirmation of life I so admired.

     Time was no longer my enemy. Now it enveloped me, liberated me.  Living in a magical circle of space and energy helped fuel my love of words and images, the tools with which I would later fight injustice."


This new teacher in Ruth is a gift to me.  I'm learning that my impatience is not helping me to accomplish anything.  And to have a new concept of time as we head closer to Christmas is such a blessing.  I vow not to get caught up in the mania of trying to create some kind of magic in our house, when this season really is about the coming of Christ the Lord.  I never feel ready for this. 

This expectant, waiting time is a challenge. I want to have peace in my heart and not stress.  I've learned how to use anger as fuel for creating good things and see my complex emotions as sparks for transformation and forgiveness.  The next step is to use impatience as fuel for learning how to live inside of time.




9 comments:

  1. What a great concept. Our ultimate happiness lies in how well we use our time, and we never know when our time will be up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Duncan! Why waste time worrying about when?

      Delete
    2. Exactly Jenny. We need to live in the moment and do as much good as we can while it is called "today" :)

      Delete
  2. Although I vaguely remember reading/hearing about Ruth some time ago, I've never read her book. Now, it's a must read I'm moving to the top of my TBR list.

    What she says is so true, and such an open door to a peaceful heart. I'm glad you fund her, and then introduced the rest of us to her.

    Conincidentally, or maybe not so much, knowing how God puts things together, my next post is a story on the value of patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly,
      There is so much more about Ruth's life that I failed to include in this short post. What a soul! She's still living "inside of time" at age 101! I just requested the book I quoted here today from the library, but plan to read a few of her other 19 books, especially the ones that tell the story of bringing WWII refugees to America, then helping them when they were on the ships waiting for a new home somewhere in this world.
      I look forward to reading the story about the value of patience!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant post Jenny, for this Advent time and the precious waiting time leading up to Christmas. Yes, we can all get caught up in the mania of wanting everything to be perfect for those we love, and, sometimes, we can forget what Christmas is really all about :( Like you, I am very impatient, always have been. As I am now older, I do try VERY hard to be a bit different. I do try to enjoy every moment and not to let life just rush by, but it's certainly not easy, with all the pressures these days. I'm afraid that I'v never heard of Ruth Gruber either, but she sounds like a very sensible and special lady. Peace and blessings to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! I love the Christmas season and feel so inspired by so many things I see around me that I want to do it all. I want to have a big sparkling tree, and lots of baked goods, and presents with beautiful wrap, a house with wreathes and lights, gifts to give, cards to send, family to visit, delicious meals on the table and candle light. This season means weeks of time consuming work and so many decisions to make. I do get caught up in it! But this year, I'm breathing more, waiting more. I'm holding back. I know it will come and be just as beautiful as it always is. And this year, I'll be able to help Elliot give from his heart, to people who are suffering. I am so very blessed! Thank you for sharing your message of peace and blessings. Here's to two friends learning patience, and to remembering the real magic of this season!

      Delete
  4. You and me, both Jenny. I find it so hard to be patient sometimes - especially when I need to know (or THINK I need to know) the outcome of some problem. It's very hard for me to wait, wait, wait some more for something to work out as it needs to. But I've learned that me forcing an issue makes the problem worse, so I've learned to do what I can, and then have faith that all will work out as it should.
    I like what you said about Christmas. So many times we rush around trying to make the perfect Christmas for everyone. This year, we have no children coming home. It's just the two of us, so I'm trying to concentrate on the real meaning, and to enjoy my parents and siblings in that spirit. So far, so good. It sounds like you have the right idea also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we are of like mind. I'm sorry you won't be having your children home for Christmas. That's got to be tough! But I'm sure it will be beautiful in a way you didn't expect. Christmas is weeks of work, but I'm learning that it's an enjoyable kind of work. I'd rather be cleaning and hanging lights than other types of chores. And baking is always fun! Sending lots of positive energy and good wishes for a happy Christmas season your way.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!