Tuesday, December 25, 2012

This Christmas Morning

This Christmas, Santa came to our house, possibly near midnight when we heard a thud on the roof.   I woke up at my usual 5:30 am, to a deep silence.  Ozzie followed me downstairs and had a peek under the tree.  Smelling a mesh bag of dog bones, he gently lifted the bag in his teeth and carried it over to the rug.  While the coffee dripped, I sat down to wait.  Usually, this never happens.  Usually, Elliot or Emily, or both would be jumping on my bed and waking me from a deep slumber. 

This year was different and the same as Christmases usually are.  This year was different because I decided to be happy, no matter that Emily had to go back to her life up north.

There's too much good to celebrate in life to spend a single moment moping about loss, goodbyes and long distance family.  I took a shower, ate a cookie for breakfast, and still, Elliot slept on.  It was a quiet, foggy sunrise before I heard his foot stomps in the hall.

"Merry Christmas!!!!!!!" he said while pounding down the steps.

"Merry Christmas Elliot!" we said, giving hugs and smiles.  He made a bee line for the corner, where Santa had indeed left a few packages to open.

"This is the best day of my LIFE!"  he said, ripping open a box with a Lego The Clone Wars Video game for his Xbox.  Then he jumped on his go cart, a German Kettler Car.  A go cart is Elliot's dream come true!




There were many gifts to open under our tree this year, and lots of surprises.  My mom is continually generous with all of us, sending a big box stuffed with beautiful presents.  Richard enjoyed his big box of kitchen tools including a food processor. I was thrilled to find a gift card for Barnes and Noble....just in time to start rebuilding my library!

Emily also had many gifts to share with us, and lots of fun activities.  We made the most of every single moment. 

Every Christmas seems to come and go so fast, and just when I'm beginning to make the holiday a part of daily life, I have to start thinking of the ordinary calendar once again.  But for now, Richard has the rest of the week off and we plan to really relax and enjoy the every day blessings.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and I'll be back again after the New Year.

 Peace to you my friends,

Jenny

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like such a lovely Christmas celebration, and one you all will cherish from here on out. So glad Emily got to come and that you got to enjoy time with her, although it's never long enough.

    May this new year be chunk full of abundance, peace, and prosperity for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelly! I have a feeling it's going to be the best year I've ever lived.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas Jenny! I'm glad you got to spend some time with Emily and that you're feeling happy and at peace. I want to tell you that two little girls spent the day being either a poodle, a cat, or a unicorn - and sometimes a combination of two of them. Best.Present.Ever. Thank you so much for all you did. Katie has taken some pictures and I'll be sure to share when I get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Thank you so much for sharing that news! I'm so glad the girls enjoyed their Knees and Paws. It makes everything so completely fun for me.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to be able to wake up early morning again and enjoy that quiet time to myself before the sun comes up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wonder if the day would ever come!!!!

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!