Thursday, April 28, 2011

Stormy Weather

As I write this, over 128 people have died in Alabama, 11 in Georgia and 1 in Tennessee.  We spent a nervous evening listening to the storm outside our windows, cracked open to prevent them from bursting under the pressure of a possible tornado.  We're still under a watch until noon today.  Currently I am in the dark about my fellow North Carolinians as the phone company cut our cable line while burying a new line.

For all of our survival skills learned while hiking in the backcountry, Richard and I realized that we are not really prepared in the event of a tornado.  We have no basement or proper storm shelter.  As we cleared a space in our pantry under the stairs, it became quite obvious that something needs to be done.  As a storage area for canned goods, this space also holds glass vases, crystal platters, an odd assortment of tools, cords, batteries, boxes of stuff I have no idea why I'm keeping, brooms, vacuums, boxes of nails....
Also, there really is no secure place to hang on in case a tornado were to suck us all up. 

We wearily fell into our beds last night not knowing if the massive storm to the west and the south would find us.  I was able to sleep trusting in the text alerts that would be coming to my phone from the local news station. 

This morning I have a lot of work to do... creating a safe space.
Is it possible to ever be truly safe anymore?

9 comments:

  1. Only in the arms of Jesus and I do not mean that lightly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd been reading all morning and worried about some friends in Ardmore. Is just terrible the devastation and loss of life. I'm glad you and yours are safe and will pray the storms don't mount and/or subside entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was relocating I would make sure it had a secure basement or storm shelter underground. A tornado can be selective or take it all. I hope you all stay safe. We are getting a lot of wind today in NC and the rain has just started.
    odie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been terribly worrying for you all, Jenny. Do hope all the storms pass by very soon, so that you can truly relax again. Certainly, it will be a good idea to get something sorted just in case these storms do come your way again, but I pray that they won't. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs* I am so sorry you are going through all this.. I am very thankful you are ok. We are safe... we do what we can to keep ourselves physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe and then we walk in our faith knowing that we have done what we can and trusting that what will be is meant to be. The hardest part for me is not letting being afraid keep me from anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi and thank you for visiting my blog and becoming a follower! I love your blog, as well! I am glad that you at least have your pantry that you can "hide" in! The bike helmet idea came from our weatherman as he predicted that the tornadoes were going to be very bad. I pray that we never have tornadoes like that again! I am glad that you and your family are safe. ~ Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny. Just to say, make sure you pop over to my Blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm here to wish you a very Happy 40th Birthday, Jenny and to have a slice (or two) of that delicious-looking chocolate cake Thisisme baked for your birthday.

    I hope you're safe, happy and well...having read this recent post, it seems as though you've been through a really tough few days. I guess in circumstances such as those, all anyone can do is wait and hope the worst doesn't happen! I cannot begin to imagine how frightening it must be as I've never experienced anything like that, but I do know that when we have gale force winds here I really hate it!

    Take care & hopefully you'll be able to celebrate your birthday as planned :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I don't think one can guarantee themselves being 100% safe nowadays, wherever in the world one lives. But I've always thought a little preparedness and common sense go a long way.

    Sad to hear of these storms in the U.S. We do live in troubled times.

    I came here through the recommendation of Thisisme.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!