Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Tree is Still Up

In our house, the Christmas tree is still up and will stay up for a while longer.  The tree is still up and lit every morning and every evening, because Elliot is still singing Christmas carols from the back seat while we drive around town.  He's still in the mood for the holiday, even through we are "back to school."  Last night, we watched Rudolf's Shiny New Year and The Year Without a Santa Claus.  We ate Christmas cookies that I reserved in the freezer and drank tea.

I'm not in a hurry for things to be packed away.  While it's Christmas, there's a feeling of loving kindness and generosity that is added into daily life. There's an extra amount of gratitude for family, friends, and community.

On Christmas morning, I received a very generous gift card for Barnes and Noble from my mom, and have been enjoying the spoils of my shopping spree.  I've just finished The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer.  This book is really wonderful. I loved it even though I am not really a student of Yoga or eastern spiritual practices.  I've decided not to write a proper review with details because upon immediate completion, I might praise it too highly and make it sound like a solution for pain, misery and the struggle of life.

  However, I do appreciate that it contains a very simple practice method for letting problems and emotions burn through the heart quickly in order get to a place that feels happy.  After reading several chapters, I realized that I regularly cling to problems.  I let them cycle through my thoughts like a washing machine with no automatic shut off mechanism.  One problem will fade to the background only when another shiny new problem presents itself.  Over time I end up developing a cluster of problems to attend to, that I think I need to solve or apply a creative fix.

  I also recognized that I regularly concentrate and focus on problems until I am depleted.  Was it the academic training of critical essay writing that taught me to keep searching for solutions or ways to beef up my arguments?  Was it the practice of long hours of focused concentration on a project or paper that transferred to my relationships and life?

After reading Singer's book, I have decided to notice when I am using the old "college try" method to fix up my problems.  That doesn't mean that I will be less thoughtful or want to think deeply about something, it just means that I will stop attacking my problems in an intense struggle to figure everything out and get satisfactory answers.  I am going to practice letting things arise as they naturally will, and observe the speed at which they burn through my heart and mind so that I can feel more occasions of peace.

It's not a New Year's resolution, but a new life resolution.








10 comments:

  1. Jenny, I love that you still have your Christmas tree up. We do, too, and probably will into next week. I love also that you are willing to let the spirit of Christmas still permeate your house, while others frantically extinguish it to get ready for Valentine's Day.

    I will be thinking hard today what you've said about the old college try. There's much wisdom to that. It's such a fine line about when to persevere and hang in there, and when to let go, release, and move on. Someday, I hope to figure all that out, too!

    Happy New Year, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, I'm very happy to know I'm not the only one trying to pack away the magic! It is kind of disappointing to go out and find those red hearts popping up everywhere. I wonder why the stores aren't playing love songs from now until February 14?
      I was noticing how smooth my day was going yesterday by my new "let it go" attitude. Then a series of technical problems happened and are currently still going on here. My photo editing software is misbehaving just at the time when I needed to post a listing for a custom order. Then during a skype call, my microphone wasn't working. Then my monitor completely went dead. This morning the dryer is burning up all the clothes and the gas stove smells so strong I have a headache. I keep noticing all these little irritations that interrupt, delay and frustrate. Why is there always a little test presented every time I feel like I've learned something?

      Delete
    2. I meant to say "not trying to pack away the magic"

      Delete
  2. We're taking our tree down this coming Sunday though it is nice seeing the lights on each night.

    Another nice piece of writing, very thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Duncan! I'm glad to know your tree is still up, too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny. I love that quote - "... a new life resolution." Sorry to hear in your reply to Shelly above that you were having so many technical problems. I'm trying to keep the Christmas magic alive as well. Usually, over here, Easter eggs start appearing in the shops shortly after Christmas!¬ I hate it how the seasons these days all run into each other. It's all just so commercialized! I wish you well with your new life resolution my friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thisisme, how interesting to know that Easter is arriving in England just after the New Year! It's like a big industrial machine gone out of whack. I think the string of technical hiccups was an invitation to go outside and sit in nature and release my dependency. It just doesn't seem to feel so happy outside with lots of heavy cloud cover. I remember January days in the north when I was a child, and while the skies were dull, at least we had bright fresh blankets of snow to play in. Here, we have the dull sky and a dull brown patch of grass to match, and more rainy days. I was thinking of our greenhouse project and how all the windows are still sitting in the garage. Maybe I need to get out a hammer and some boards and go build a sun house!

      Delete
    2. :) Our days are so dull and dreary as well. How I long for some cold, sunny days, so that I can get out and do some walking again.

      Delete
  4. It always makes me a little sad to put the Christmas sparkles away. The house seems very zen after all the warmth and abundance. But I am married to a very neat and orderly man, and by New Year's Day everything is put away. But we're basking in the order created by cleaning everything up, and it has a peace of it's own.
    I'm not currently going to yoga class, but it really does help you relax and detox. I've gotten rid of headaches and had aches and pains subside after the hour and a half of practice and relaxation. I'd like to start back again soon and am looking for a studio that will suit my needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'm inspired to take a yoga class at our Y. I think I could use the gentleness of it. The low lights, the quiet, the exercises that don't pound my joints to pieces. Plus, I want to learn how to "get behind" my psyche and all of the mind chatter and defensive emotional responses.
      I will look forward to the fresh clean after we decide to pack everything away. This year we have put in wood floors and I'm excited because it feels so spacious, fresh and bright. I know that not having a tree up will add to that kind of zen! Thanks for reminding me to look forward to it.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!