Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Silence in Which Another Voice May Speak

I have a simple poem to share by Mary Oliver today:

Praying

It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't 
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.




The value of poetry is that it inspires me to be thoughtful and attentive to life in the simplest of moments.  It reminds and calls me to craft some of my own.


Here is a patched up version of my life at the moment:

A Weekend In April (the best destination)


Singing crystal bowl meditation at the Friend's Meeting house
the vibrations lift us up by the ears,
calling my attention to the weightlessness of my soul.

A new sitter for Elliot
Delightful, young, compassionate soother of
parental anxiety and a very shy dog.
Someone to listen to everything about Lego building
and Ninja Art
And game playing.

A blast of sunlight so warm
we wore shorts,
running sweaty through woodlands
waking up the snakes
meeting the Barred Owl in the last rays 
of a spring foraging adventure.

Neighbors who invited Elliot for play
every single day.

Let our boy's lonely heart have 
many many many friends.

Two gardens tilled and ready 
for seeds.

Two sprouts of asparagus giving hope
for a future feast.

Food that becomes a sacred act of 
gratitude, daily meals
 packed with flavor and strength.

The tall man at a sink of dishes
who loves me.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! I could feel every moment through your eyes and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some things I have come to love in later life, and poetry is one of them. It quiets and centers my soul. Your piece is full of home, warmth, and family, my favorite things. You are just so talented at whatever you write, my friend.

    Grace exudes from this poem, and there are so many parts of it that speak to me. Thank you for sharing this wonderful slice of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I really love the way you write and I've missed checking in with you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny. I seem to have missed out on this post :(
    Always know that your writing gives me such pleasure my friend. You truly do have an amazing way with words. I loved your poem and the poem before that, by Mary Oliver. I agree with Shelly, your poem is all about those who are closest to you, and things that mean a lot to you. Simple words, but so effective. Even that last couplet - "The tall man at a sink of dishes that loves me" - beautiful. That says it all. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!