Friday, May 2, 2014

Richard's Life Threatening Illness

This lesson was almost learned too late.

Today is my birthday, and my gift is that I get to share this day with my husband. That he is still alive is a miracle.

Recently we visited our family in Missouri.  We explored wooded areas at the back of a field.  Richard came home with two ticks, both of which I removed.

Both bites swelled the skin. One made a great big fat red and white bull's eye.

I urged him to go to the doctor RIGHT AWAY.  He thought if it was lyme, he would have plenty of time and could wait to come home before seeing a doctor.  Do all men think they are invincible?

His mom and I bothered and pestered him until he went to a local physician, who promptly prescribed a very powerful antibiotic called doxycycline. 

Within two days of the tick bite, he was treated for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  We did not really know what that was.

Only after seeing a doctor yesterday, did we become aware of how serious this is.  We did not know that if he recovers, we still have to be on guard against relapse.

"RMSF is a serious illness that can be fatal in the first eight days of symptoms if not treated correctly, even in previously healthy people. The progression of the disease varies greatly. Patients who are treated early may recover quickly on outpatient medication, while those who experience a more severe course may require intravenous antibiotics, prolonged hospitalization or intensive care." (Centers for Disease Control)

If he had waited several days more, DEATH was likely.  This type of tick contained rickettsii.  Rickettsii affect the cells that line the blood vessels.  

"The damage that occurs in the blood vessels results in a disease process called a "vasculitis", and bleeding or clotting in the brain or other vital organs may occur. Loss of fluid from damaged vessels can result in loss of circulation to the extremities and damaged fingers, toes or even limbs may ultimately need to be amputated. Patients who suffer this kind of severe vasculitis in the first two weeks of illness may also be left with permanent long-term health problems such as profound neurological deficits, or damage to internal organs. Those who do not have this kind of vascular damage in the initial stages of the disease typically recover fully within several days to months. "(CDC)

So about a minute after reading that yesterday, I wept in a nervous, shaking, mental break-down kind of way.

The doctor here at home in NC is now monitoring him for relapse.  So far, Richard has responded positively to the antibiotic and is slowly slowly beginning to improve.  He still has pain and soreness, which is likely to stay with him for at least two more months.


Upon further research, we discovered that RMSF outbreaks are occurring here in North Carolina too.




Today we are heading back out to the woods, because Richard is teaching a wilderness survival class! Can you guess how much I want to go outdoors now?



Richard recently celebrated his birthday.  I had no idea then that it might not have happened. 
Please pray that Richard recovers fully, with no relapse.  We are going to stay positive, and put our intentions on good health.

9 comments:

  1. How awful! I'm so glad he is ok, receiving treatment, and hopefully on the mend. I have such a fear of ticks right now... And unfortunately it's really hindering our get up and go outside attitude. Lyme alone was horrible for us last year (three of us had it) I can only imagine how terrifying this disease can be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I've been meaning to write to you and ask more about your ordeal. I didn't know that three of you had it! We are confused a little because the bull's eye that showed up on Richard would indicate Lyme, but the spots and fever indicate RMSF. He had two bites, and I wonder if it could have been a double whammy of both types of disease.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jenny, I am so thankful, and I am praying. Wow- a surge of gratefulness just swept through me that you caught it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly sorry to learn of Richard's health crisis, Jennifer. I will pray for his full and permanent recovery and for you to have the strength to handle whatever challenges lie ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! Thank you for the thoughtful comment and for your prayers. That really means so much!

      Delete
  4. Oh Jenny,
    How terrifying for you all. I'm so grateful you convinced him to go see a Dr. Of course you and yours are in my prayers. How brave of you to return to the woods. I'm sure it gives him a sense of power to be able to go back to what he loves and be able to continue sharing his wisdom. Much love and hang in there…OH and Happy Birthday again dear heart! Loves~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sush,
      Thank you so much for the beautiful, loving comment. I was brave, but also really prepared! I sprayed all of our clothes with Pymetherin, and applied a generous slathering of DEET, and even tucked my pants inside my socks for the class. I looked and smelled a little funny! Thank you for the double birthday wishes, I really was able to get out of my sappy, weepy funk and have a good time.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodnessJenny. What a terrible thing to have happened to poor Richard. It must have been so frightening for you. I will most definitely pray that he never has a realise of any kind. Doesn't it make you realize just how fragile this wonderful life of ours can be. I thank The Lord that Richard came through this, and I am so sorry that you had to go through this worrying time. God bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Thisisme, thank you so much for your prayers. It is hard not to worry, but I find that the more I stay focused on the positive, and keep busy with my normal chores, I'm able to function. Life can be so very fragile, and I'm guilty of ignoring that fact.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!