Monday, May 5, 2014

Wilderness Survival Class

This year, something unexpected happened.  Richard had an idea for a class that he wanted to offer for our homeschool group.  After receiving positive feedback, he collected resources, dove into research and scouted locations.  We sent out a few emails, and before long, he was teaching a wilderness survival course!

And though he claims not to be a real teacher, the fact that both classes have been a success may prove otherwise.  He is great with kids and works hard to make difficult concepts clear. He presents tough challenges to engage their interest.  I've learned some things too, although I'm not a very good student and like to chat with my friends during class.  (Moms will always find reasons to talk with one another!)  Having  friends also helps me to manage my fears about returning to the woods and hiking off trail.  I wonder if they noticed my apprehension about hiking in ankle deep leaf litter, the favorite home of copperheads....

Or through tall grass and underbrush, the ideal habitat for the dreaded, potentially disease carrying ticks.  You thought I was going to say bears, didn't you?  Black bears sometimes pass through our area (even going downtown!) in the spring, so there is still a chance for me to have another encounter.

With Richard's RMSF,  I worry more about the tiny things with teeth than the big things with teeth.  Could it be possible that one day my paranoia about bears will be overcome by my greater fear of insignificantly tiny ticks?

The kids in our class (except for Elliot) are not aware that I have fear.  They weren't aware that all of our clothes were treated with pymetherin and that our skin was slathered with Deet.  They don't know my bear story, which turned into a four day long panic attack.  Being on home territory did help me to relax, but more than anything it was the group that made this a positive, easier experience.

  Making new friends, sharing stories and learning together has enriched us and given us more than we expected.  Our friend Jamy, who writes at Joy 365 recently blogged about our last class.  I'm going to send you to her blog today because I know you will enjoy her writing, her wit and her excellent photography!

http://365happythings.blogspot.com/2014/05/103-wilderness-survival-5214.html?spref=fb

photo credit Jamy Gearhart

photo credit Jamy Gearhart

photo credit Jamy Gearhart

photo credit Jamy Gearhart

photo credit Jamy Gearhart

photo credit Jamy Gearhart








4 comments:

  1. I loved all these photos today Jenny, especially that last one. Not sure that I was ever meant to be an outdoors girl, with bears and other things around me. Probably just as well that I live where I do ! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thisime, I would prefer to stay in my back yard and work in the flower and vegetable garden!
      But this is why Richard is such a good match for me, he takes me out of my comfort zone and helps me to grow and expand my life. Which would be terribly small and boring without him.

      Delete
  2. What a terrific thing to offer those kids, Jenny, and I can tell just by looking at the pictures they had a blast! Now I wouldn't be much good off trail, thinking of bears, but I would enjoy being out, experiencing the rest of nature. And like thisisme, I love that last picture~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, it was such a great class. This group is a blessing to us!! The temps have been so mild here that it made for a relaxing, enjoyable time.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!