Saturday, April 2, 2011

Retreat

   I live in the third largest city in North Carolina.  This beautiful city has a lot of great qualities. But if you were to drive a few hours west, you would see sights like this:
Which is why one of my new hobbies is hiking.  But friends, while I love hiking in the mountains with my husband, I am sick-in-the-heart terrified of black bears.  Even though everyone says they are benign.   Even though I walked past 17 of them last summer. 
Now that spring has arrived, Richard is ready to plan another backpacking trip.  We will take Elliot and Ozzie this time.
 I know it will be a great experience.  I always feel refreshed and full of energy for life after going into the mountains.   And who can resist the pristine beauty of it all?







Or the chance to spend time with Richard without the burden of our jobs and home? 
I mean, I need to get over this irrational fear.  Look at that guy with his hair all grown out!  I'll eat ramen noodles, sweat like crazy and carry an overloaded pack just to see the relaxed version of my husband return. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds about perfect to me (minus the black bears) and those captures of nature. Glorious!

    Alita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, your photos are awesome, especially the waterfall. It all looks absolutely wonderful, and I love the photo of you both together. You look really relaxed! Don't think I would be too keen on bumping into any bears though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post... I am so feeling the need to get out in the woods and spend some time away from everything electronic. Your photos are amazing!! You need to get yourself some bear bells and then you won't have to worry about the bears.. they are afraid of the bells. http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Bear-Bell-Red/dp/B001OPF0IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1301796790&sr=1-1 you can put them on Elliot and Ozzie too = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have black bears in our back yard in Pa. so I am not really afraid of them unless there is a mother and cub around. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are breathtaking! And I love it when guys grow out their hair a little :) (Lucas thinks his is too long right now, but I think it's perfect!)
    I would be scared to death of bears too! 17 of them??? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!