Sunday, April 22, 2012

Birthday Love

As some of my friends are aware, Richard's birthday eve arrived and I still had yet to pick out a gift, or construct a plan for how we would celebrate.  Elliot wanted to give his Dad a big party.  I wanted to do something big too.  But Richard likes simplicity, and evenings of peace at home.  So in honor of that, we stayed in and grilled a nice meal.  My mom ordered a box of gourmet cupcakes from Maxie B's which he loved, and Elliot sang the birthday song.  And just a few hours before, we still had no gift.

It wasn't that I was completely broke.  The first time I was ever with Richard on his birthday, I gave him a pair of socks and a cd.  This year, I was doing a little better with the budget.  The problem was that I had not been thinking far enough ahead to shower him with abundant surprises, material or non material, like video messages from his family and friends, or something equally meaningful.  I did not make reservations at a nice restaurant or take him out to the movies.  I did not write poetry or make him anything handmade except for a card.

I even forgot to put the candles on his cupcakes.

But he was completely surprised when he opened his card.  Inside was a gift certificate to a brand new resort in our area.  I discovered that with any purchase of a spa service (such as a massage or facial), a person can enjoy everything from a sauna, whirlpool, fitness center, steam room and pool for the entire day.  What a bargain! I could afford one of the services so Elliot and I dressed nicely and made our way to the next town for an impromptu field trip.  Even though the Grandhaven resort is intimidating, we did not feel insignificant or out of place as we walked in a gave ourselves a little tour.    Elliot said he felt like he was going back in time as he walked past the enormous stone fireplaces and climbed flight after flight of stairs in the lobby.  We walked down lush carpeted hallways, past board rooms where meetings were taking place, past a little cafe, and down to the spa.  We peeked in through a crack in the door and knew that this was it!

We were very excited to share this gift with him, and indeed, Richard was very surprised!  But when it was all over, I know in my heart what made Richard's day.  It was this hug...


And this song.




9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Richard. You are one very blessed man, but you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best gifts are those that both surprise and move the receiver. This birthday was more than successful because of how loving you and Elliot are in your choices for Richard.

    The spa and hugs were great ideas from the heart! He must have beamed from ear to ear when he got them.

    Gifts from the heart will last an entire lifetime, unlike gifts that become gifts just because they are expensive. You two did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are Kodak moments for sure, Jenny. My friend Odie and I espouse the simple life. There is power in simplicity. I consider it obscene when people give or get a truck load of expensive gifts. You and Elliot found the right balance. You gave Richard one meaningful store bought present, a handmade card and gifts that will keep on giving: a song, a hug and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet! Your husband is a lot like mine in respect to his view of birthdays. I thought we needed to do something big for my husband's birthday a few weeks ago, too, but he's not big on gifts either. We bought him a dvd he likes, made him a cake with fresh strawberries on the side and a handmade card and had a nice dinner the night before his actual birthday and I could tell he was truly pleased. The next day, I asked him if he'd like to do something special and he said he wanted to make breakfast for his family and just spend the day together at home - and that's what we did. It was wonderful. Some of the best moments in life are the small, unplanned, relaxing ones when everything simply falls together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOnderful, happy photos for us to share today, Jenny. That Spa present sounds absolutely lovely, and I bet Richard was really surprised! I agree with the others - it's the simple things in life that really do mean the most. Lovely, happy post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so touched by your thoughtful present and it wasn't even for me! It's written all over Richard's face how completely happy he was on his birthday! Success Jenny...sweet and wonderful success!
    Happy Birthday Richard and love to all the family~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful...that is sweet. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post :) I do apologize for being a bit late, but due to circumstances with no internet access and now I'm catching up on everybody. What a nice birthday surprise, sometimes simplicity is the best thing - it's the thought that counts. Have a lovely Day!

    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your love as a family is the greatest gift of all, however the gift to the spa's not so bad either!! LOL. Great read and pics Jenny, very very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!