Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hi Again!

Happy belated Easter to all of my awesome friends!  I've missed reading your posts and sharing my thoughts.  So today I'm stopping in for a quick visit to say I'm still here, still alive, still busy as ever but happy.

Things are going well.  I've implemented a new language arts program into our daily school routine and I'm loving it!  Elliot's spelling is improving, and best of all, he now understands how to store his new words into his long term memory.  I gave him a steep challenge, and that was to discover for himself how he learns and what it takes for him to reach the goal of learning to spell words effortlessly.  I explained the difference between short term and long term memory, and that each person has their own way of learning.   He discovered that if he concentrates with focus, he can store those words forever!  Learning how to do this will make his writing journey so much easier.  With the small daily action of intense focus on his words, he will fly!

I'm so thankful that I took some time to focus on this significant part of our lessons.

A strange thing happened while I was away from the blogosphere.  Nearly every day that I was away, people who I know locally stopped by.  Emily was also here for spring break and actually felt like she had to fight for time with me!  She said,  "Mom! You have too many friends!"   In fact I am a little weary from socializing, but I shall never take the people in my life for granted.

In other news, I am having a hair crisis.  I know, right...what a thing to write about.  Last year I made a promise to go gray naturally and to stop artificially coloring my locks.   This is about to change.  The problem is thinning. I finally decided to try minoxodil.  While I was researching this product, it was suggested that artificial coloring will help to give a thicker, fuller look.  Since I'm already using something chemical to alter my hair, I might as well do the deed and give myself some color.  Today I plan to have it cut.  Unfortunately I am a little vain and am tired of feeling bad because of my hair. 

There is one more development on the horizon, which I plan to write about soon.  I've discovered a new term:  multipotentialite.  This term has recently changed the way I feel about myself and is having a hugely positive impact.   Remember all of those posts about my identity crisis and how I could not align myself with my one true calling?  That dilemma is over for good.  I am free.  And you'll want to visit again soon when I explain in more detail...because I have a feeling that several of you are also mulitpotentialites.

I'm going to close for now with pictures of new items in the shop.  I'm now expanding to include matching play clothes!


7 comments:

  1. Some of my best friends are mulitpotentialites. :)

    Hi, Jenny! I'm delighted to find you back in the stream today. I'm glad you're teaching Elliot how to learn rather than to memorize. Cram-a-thons on the eve of exams do not result in long term storage of information. Ever notice how classroom teaching was depicted on old family sitcoms like Leave it to Beaver? Invariably the student was asked to rise and recite a specific date from history. It always seemed to be the example they used in shows like that - recalling the exact date of an historic event. That's all well and good but my favorite teachers were the ones who downplayed the importance of memorizing dates and other such trivia and taught me how to reason, see the big picture, identify and evaluate trends, etc. Have a wonderful Tuesday, dear Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a little happy dance when I saw you in my reader today! Yay! I', so glad Elliot's found the success and confidence in his spelling and vocabulary. Once they hit upon that, there's no stopping them. It's going to spill over into other areas, too, I'll bet.

    I'm sure your hair is going to look great! You will have to post some pics. It's amazing how much better we feel when we are enjoying our hair.

    I can't wait to hear more about mulitpotentialites. In fact, I'm going to Google it in a bit because you've piqued my curiosity.

    When I saw your new items on FB this morning, I had to smile because they are just so darn cute! Your creativity always amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy to see you back in blogland dear one! You always bring such thought provoking material to my attention! I'm going to be following Shelly's path and google multipotentialities once I finish with this comment.
    How blessed is Elliot to have a teacher who is fully invested in his education. Your caring and efforts will take him fr in life as well as round out his confidence in his ability to master anything life throws his way. You are a wonderful parent and teacher!

    Hope you get many moments of free time to visit blogland!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny! It's nice to read from you again ^_^ I'm delighted to hear that the teaching goes so well and that Elliot is improving! Great news. Wishing you a lovely week ahead my friend!
    Big hugs
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny. How wonderful to see your name appear on my blog roll today. I'm so pleased to see that Elliot is doing so very well. You really are an amazing mum, my friend (and teach as well, of course!). Love all the new items from your shop. Well, I have never heard of multipotentialities. It does sound exciting. I'm not going to Google it, as I'm going to wait for you to tell us all about it, but I'm so pleased that it is making you feel so good. I hope you will be pleased with your hair. I think for us woman, our hair can lift us up or pull us down, if we're not pleased with it. Big hugs to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've missed you! It sounds like you've been doing some wonderful things with Elliot and I'm very much looking forward to this new idea of yours. Sounds intriguing. As for coloring your hair, I notice when my gray roots start to grow in, it looks like I have a big bald patch. Hair color is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've missed you! what a great post! i agree that you should color. i alternate between color and perms. i can't do both because it's too harsh so i go color, wait about 6-7 weeks and then perm. wait another 6-7 weeks and color. seems to work. i also get a healthy amount trimmed off each time. my hair is so fine that i have to keep it pretty short.

    love the term and i definitely will be looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!