Monday, April 30, 2012

Planning for a Homecoming

In a few days and one month, my daughter, who is no longer a baby, or even a child, or even an adolescent, but who will be an adult (Diane, here I emphatically insert a double EEEEK!) is returning home after four years away at school with her dad.  I have no idea how long she plans to stay with us...a month, a summer, a year?  I know she is fiercely independent like me and really wants to be on her own.  What better way to prepare for this event than by practicing some survival skills in the wilderness?


I'm so excited I could pop.

We are planning to embark on an eighty two mile hike.   In a location that is one of the most wild and free places I've ever truly loved.

At first we discussed taking the mountains to sea trail in North Carolina, but it's not completely finished yet and I would like to avoid roads through cities and towns.  So instead of trying to get to the beach by foot, we will begin there and stay there. I'm not sure how many days I can handle of this....



We might return weary and with an aversion for sand and sun.

It's a risk I'm willing to take.


10 comments:

  1. Ahhh, what a terrific celebration- so fitting! You all are going to have such wonderful times- and the beach is the perfect setting.

    I can't wait to hear the great stories you will come away with from this, and Emily, too. Take lots and lots of pictures. This will be one you will be telling your grandchildren and great grandchildren about some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, Bring Leah and go with us!

      Delete
    2. Oh, gosh, wouldn't that be fun! Someday...someday...

      Delete
  2. Wear sunscreen, Jenny!

    My boyhood memories include the annual debate between my mother and father over where the family would go on summer vacation. My dad loved the great outdoors and favored the mountains. My mother hated roughing it and always voted for a beach destination. When I was allowed to cast the swing vote I always chose the shore because I loved the water so much. Wherever you go and whatever you do I hope you and your daughter share quality time and make many happy memories together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady, I had thought of the sunscreen and uv protective clothing, hats and even doing part of our miles at dusk and early morning.

      Delete
  3. Eeek! indeed Jenny! Oh, how exciting and wonderful for you both. Emily is a beautiful girl, and I'm sure you are so much looking forward to spending some special time with her. Like Shady, I hope that you make many happy memories together. Can anyone ever have an aversion to the sea and the sand and the sun??!! Do keep us posted on all this! Here's another Eeeek! just to keep you going!! Hugs to you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see lots of great stories and beautiful memories ahead. Have a wonderful time. The beach (any beach) is just my favorite spot in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have Fun!
    We will be excited to hear the stories you have when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of your trip. sounds really cool. Hope you have a great time reconnecting with Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A once in a lifetime fantastic voyage of the mind, body and soul! Have great fun and let us know how many wonders you both discovered!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!