Sunday, April 15, 2012

While I Wasn't Looking

While I wasn't looking, Elliot's legs grew so long that when he sits on the couch, his feet touch the floor. 



While I wasn't looking, the climbing rose, once just a tiny single stalk of thorns and leaves, has grown to reach the top of the arbor.


While I wasn't looking, spring came along so fast that the strawberries at the farm are ready for picking.


In order to stop time from catapulting me into the future at such a violent speed, I made potato salad. 


This kind of potato salad has the power to slow time.  It slows time because it is a recipe passed down through my mother and grandmother.  It has the power to bring me back to those summer days in Michigan, standing in my grandma's kitchen.  When I make it, she is alive again.

It was the kind of April weekend when the pace of life slowed long enough to plant flowers and to dine alfresco at dusk, with candles and starlight, easing into the night with a blazing campfire.

 



   It was the kind of weekend for reading Charlotte's Web aloud and for listening to Elton John and David Bowie.

A little sangria mixed with ice, Sprite and a slice of orange helped me to celebrate spring's return.  I relish these moments in time when the sun's rays are not weak, yet not diabolical, when winter's dry static and summer's heavy humidity is just a memory.  

But is wasn't all perfect.  I managed to injure both of our frogs in the mini pond when changing the water and installing a new fountain.  I was careless with the shovel as I fished out some bricks.  Fortunately they seem to be recovering and now have a bubbly pond instead of a stagnant mosquito plantation. 

When one stops working long enough to enjoy nature, family and great weather, sometimes thoughts creep in.   I realize that I must accept Elliot's growth as a healthy, normal and positive event.  For the first time I allowed him to cross the street to take a basket of berries to our neighbor. (Of course I watched each step and held my breath!)  More and more, I have moments when I have to force myself to hold back instructions so as not to seem overbearing and protective.  It's vitally important for him to have confidence and to go forward in life without having approval from his parents every step of the way.  At some point we just have to live, experiment, and trust.





5 comments:

  1. What a lovely ode to spring, and what terrific ways to celebrate her gifts.

    I love how you all were able to dine al fresco and let it all sink in, with the candles, starlight, and blazing campfire.

    The frogs are probably rejoicing in their redone pond. Elliot is so responsible, and it must have made him feel terrific to cross the street on his own, and bearing gifts to boot!

    Those strawberries look so rich. There's so much to find happiness in this season! Thank you for spotlighting it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thoughts that creep into your mind, dear friend Jenny. The astute observations expressed here remind me of how much the blog world needs you and how much the world at large needs you. "While I wasn't looking" is another superb post. It soothes and centers me like a heaping helping of that potato salad. Rapid change can take us by surprise. I grew 5 inches in a single summer and turned into a pretty good basketball player. Here in Florida spring came and went in a flash. The bugs are back, the lawn needs mowing once a week, the heat and humidity are closing in and the sun's rays are "diabolical." I wish Florida's winter was longer. It officially begins on December 31st and ends January 1st. :)

    Time is too slow for those who wait
    And time is too swift for those who fear
    Time is too long for those who grieve
    And time is too short for those that laugh

    Hours fly
    But even flowers must die
    And then a new day comes
    And there's a new day's dawn
    And there's a new day's sun
    And love stays on

    "Time Is" by It's a Beautiful Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yard is beautiful, and I'm glad the frogs are recovering. Your strawberries are beautiful and so sweet looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your emotion about your son growing. Mine are doing the same. I had a real blue day not long ago, praying for time to slow down!
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda sucks that our kids don't stay little and cute. When my kids are eight I offered to pay them a dollar a day not to grow any older. I explained they could earn $365 a year just for staying the same age. So far no one has taken me up on it. (great pictures - the salad looks really good.0

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!