Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Rainbow Window

In the house on Brendonwood, mine was the only bedroom with a window that faced east.  On clear mornings, my pink room would glow with the morning sunrise.  One summer I spent a few dollars on a rainbow decal for this window, and after that, each sunrise also arrived with a rainbow reflection on my wall.  As the sun rose, so did the rainbow.

What a happy way to wake up on summer mornings.  Often, if it was warm enough, I might have the window open with a fresh breeze blowing in and twittering birdsong to further lift my spirit.  On weekends, there might also be an enticing, comforting aroma of pancakes rising into bubbly tender rounds on the stove.

The land around our house was a low lying valley, with heavy snows in the winter, abundant rain in spring, regular summer storms and cool and sometimes freezing autumn days.  When the yard wasn't covered by snow, the grass was deep, lush and kelly green with soft earth underneath.  Walking on it in bare feet was softer than carpet, and intensely aromatic.

Despite being a northern climate, in this area, gardens thrived in summer, and fall harvests were bountiful.  On Saturdays, I would look through the rainbow window and see my father working on the weeding or planting a row of corn.  I can see his blue jeans and the pocket with a white hankerchief he used to wipe the sweat from his brow.

Sometimes on summer nights, a thunderstorm would roll in.  I loved the sound and the energy of it, and would arise with the sound and open the window for a closer experience.  Lighting would light up the valley in white, then as it faded to black, I would feel blind for a moment. When it struck again, I'd be delighted by the sight of the wide land, the indigo sky and the dark outline of the trees.

As I travel on the inner journey, consciousness is like the night storm.  Sometimes I glimpse the meaning of my life and am thrilled by the beauty of what I've been given.  Then, in a flash, in the rush of now, and do, and let's, the darkness settles in and blots out the wow of what I was just experiencing.

During those years at the rainbow window, I struggled with all the normal growing pains of childhood, some that are better left covered under the gravel of forget.  Mostly, that northern, rural, idyllic childhood that my parents provided becomes sweeter for me with time.





8 comments:

  1. Ahh, Jenny, you took me right back there with you. Such a rich sensory experience it is, too. I literally could just about smell it, your words were so powerful.

    As far as when the darkness settling and and trying to blot out the wow, just open your window a little wider and add another stripe to your rainbow decal. It'll still shine through the darkness-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly, your encouraging words lift up my spirits. I wonder why I wrote that part about the darkness blotting out the consciousness. Perhaps it's not so much a sad, melancholy kind of dark, but a blindness to the beauty of the moment. I sometimes am able to see the beauty very clearly lit up in my memory, then sometimes I'm just so focused on the rushing of now that I forget to soak up the magic.

      Delete
  2. This was really nice. Felt like I was right there with you. I love the thought in last line of this post - about the memories of your childhood becoming sweeter with time. So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, It's so nice to see you here! I'm glad you liked today's reflection. Peace to you and happy fall...I wish I was in your location at this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Lovely, reflective post today, Jenny, and I really enjoyed reading about your memories of childhood. I loved Shelly's comment by the way about adding another stripe to your rainbow decal. Both of you always write so beautifully. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thisisme! I'm happy you came to visit today. It's friends like you that make living in the present moment so great; I enjoy looking back sometimes but it's important to love the life I'm having now.

      Delete
  4. What an adventure within walking distance just outside your house! Ours are 365 days summer heat with rain !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wah, and welcome to my blog! I look forward to reading your comments and point of view. Sending peace to you today, your friend, Jenny

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!