Friday, March 5, 2010

My Quantum Moment


I can't exactly explain why I'm in business, except that I'm sort of compelled to act on an idea. I found some comfort yesterday while reading an an article in Working Mother while waiting for my son to have his hair trimmed. I was a little jealous reading about one woman's fantastic success as she reported that her cookie making biz turned a profit almost immediately and she was now up to 65 employees. If that wasn't fantastic enough, her work was purchased by Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas. She said that if she had to do it all over, she would go into something less labor intensive and more mom friendly. I guess you can only bake a certain amount of cookies when you're a mom to feel great about parenting. But the really comforting part of this article was that she believed many people in business over-plan the whole operation. She went into it with not much of a plan. Thank God, there's hope for me yet.


So today I'd like to share more about this idea of doing something that is driven by a compelling feeling and a loose plan, and why these elements are the supportive fabric underneath my endeavor. Almost two years ago, I married the love of my life. For both of us, it was a second marraige. On our big day, both sets of our parents were in a high speed car accident with each other, driving separate cars on the highway, on the way to the ceremony. Neither of them had ever met in person before (both our familes originate in different states).


I have to pause after writing that. We arrived on the scene five minutes later to see them standing next to their totaled vehicles. Standing, huggging one another, alive.


I could have been going to five funerals instead of one wedding that week.


That day was my quantum moment. Suddenly life had a completely new meaning for me. I became acutely aware of God's timing, feeling confident that there are an exact amount of steps that one takes before death. There is a plan for my life no matter how random it feels to me.


When we returned home, both my new husband and I quit smoking and started running. We feel so great now that we're planning a 5 day hike on the Appalachian Trail. We live with so much more energy and purpose and have both decided to stop holding ourselves back from experiencing life to the fullest. I don't have a clearly defined plan here, but I'm okay with that. It just makes me open to working with the master plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!