Sunday, November 20, 2011

Elliot's Fifteen Minutes of Fame

I wish I had a video to go along with this post.  I'm certain that words will not be enough to convey the amazing event we experienced on Saturday.




Richard, having a love for adventure, signed us up to compete in a race to win a Chevy Sonic. 
I really had no idea what this was going to involve, except that it was a scavenger hunt, in which we would earn points by completing challenges at certain areas around downtown Greensboro.  It was to be a race on foot that would last approximately three hours.  (Thank goodness I've been keeping up with my running!).

Before the race began, a local radio station was there to energize the crowd of over 200 competitors.  This radio station kicked off the day's event by hosting an impromptu dance contest to win a fifty dollar gift card.

I love to dance, and Elliot was with me, so we joined a handful of people willing to make complete fools of themselves in public.

Elliot was the only child that was competing in the day's event with his parents.  I think most people felt that their children might slow them down, or that it would be too exhausting for a kid to run all over town for three hours.  Knowing that he could keep up as we've included him on long hikes in the mountains, we weren't concerned.  I think the radio DJ thought it was cool that a kid was going to compete.  So Elliot and I were chosen to dance first.

When the music started, Elliot blew up the place with his moves.  Inside I was thinking "Wow! I can't believe it! Since when.????"

  The crowd cheered him, loudly and with lots of clapping.  My jaw must have been hanging open while I lamely tried to keep pace.  The poor sops who danced afterward said, 'Geeze, who can follow that!'

The last dancer to perform also sent a wave of cheering and clapping.  Suddenly, Elliot and I found ourselves having to dance again for a tie breaker.
And he blew us away again...and ended it with a front flip.

I am not kidding.  My son did a front flip and landed it, without having practiced.  I had no idea he could do that.

With that stunning finale, the crowd went crazy!  But in the end, they cheered louder for the last dancer, who we discovered later was a professional night club dancer.


During the race, people who were competing for the car would stop to tell Elliot that they rooted for him.

Even though we did not win the car or first place in the dance contest, all of us left feeling incredibly uplifted from the experience.  I think I may have to search for a place where Elliot can dance with a group or a class.
  









8 comments:

  1. I really wish you had had a video to share with us, but your descriptive account of the event has been amazing and I'm sitting here feeling hyped up with the excitement of it all! What a wonderful experience for Elliot, Jenny! For him to have been affirmed so warmly by the crowd of onlookers would have given his confidence a hefty boost, I'm sure. I do hope you WILL sign him up for dance classes, as he clearly has oodles of natural talent, stamina and enthusiasm. Well done to BOTH of you!!! I love the picture you've shared here. Give him a bear hug from me, please! Tell him we're ALL so proud of him and think he did marvellously! Big hug xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fun event, and how wonderful that Elliot was dancing away like that, without feeling self=conscious at all. He's obviously a very bright little boy. I love his t=shirt by the way! A Dance Class sounds as if it could be really good for your gorgeous little boy. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun read. Your excitement transends through your words in this post. Pretty awesome and shows that kids cease to amaze. Would really have been grand had you two won the car, but sometimes the prize is even greater. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! I'm sure he will be doing much more with that talent in the future-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun was had and such a talent........lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. very, very cool. i do wish you had a video, too. it would have been neat if you had won.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - wish I could've seen Elliott bust a move! I love unexpected surprises like that. Kids are a wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny that he's with you almost all the time and you didn't know he knew how to dance like that. What a fun memory.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!