Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Grumpy Birthday

Today is my birthday and I'm grumpy.

I really need to turn this attitude around, because it looks like a promising day ahead, with warm sunny weather and a Dental visit for Elliot (normally that would be a drag, but it means at least an hour of sitting in lush furniture with good things to read, hot gourmet coffee, and full control of the cable television if I choose.) 

Recently, as in yesterday, I made the mistake of stepping on the scale.  It looks like I've put on the freshman fifteen.  The added weight has arrived with regular back pain.  I told myself not to worry about it, because soon I will be hiking 83 miles at the beach.  But then I thought, why wait?  Instead of anticipating my recovery from this pattern of sitting too much and enjoying big meals, I can turn the ship around right now.  So I went crazy and ran 10 miles yesterday and plan to do ten a day until I feel better.  Five in the morning, and five at night.

It must have helped because today I don't feel nearly as much pain. 

There is a shift in my thinking now that I'm heading deeper into the forties.  I used to look outside myself for answers, like a helpless maid needing someone else to help me fix all the messes and disappointments and frustrating challenges that loom large in my imagination.  I intend to minimize this problem, right now, today.

Part of the problem of having more birthdays is that we become more skilled as we grow.  I'm getting better at shopping for groceries and preparing good meals.  I've stopped buying junk that is partially prepared in boxes or in the freezer aisle, and developed a taste for more interesting dishes with fresh ingredients.  The final result is that I eat more, and actually enjoy mealtime.  My palate has developed also as a result of being farther away from my ex smoking date.  I have changed from being the mom who dreaded preparing meals as daily drudgery, to a mom who enjoys cooking.  My father would be proud.

I love French, Greek, and Italian cuisine.   I used to think that cooking those types of meals would be hard on the budget, but actually many of those dishes are simpler and more affordable than some of the classic American fare that I grew up on.  I think I could live on bread, olives and cheese.  Or some fresh veggies with a side of pita chips and hummus.  Or pasta with wine sauce and capers.

It is a sign of growth that I now appreciate different foods.  I used to be heartily committed to the standards of my childhood.  Yet with so many recipes to choose from around the world, and so many new foods appearing at the grocery store, the standard doesn't seem as appealing and comforting as it once was.

I've decided to keep eating and cooking while managing the scale.  I've decided that deprivation is not going to be an option.

New running shoes are in order.

Please pass a piece of that chocolate birthday cake!


9 comments:

  1. Whoohooo! That's a great birthday present you've given yourself. You've already discovered the secret. Just start right now instead of agonizing over it.

    Your diet sounds so good, too. Fresh anything is so good for the body.

    Your 40's are going to be the best decade yet, I just know. I hope this birthday is the best one yet.

    And yes, enjoy that birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly, thanks for the encouragement and good wishes. I was on the treadmill last night and saw someone walk toward me in a t shirt that read just do it in big block letters. It was a call to action that carried no lament...I am going to do it. Every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Jenny! Coincidentally today is also Mrs. Shady's birthday and she's a little grumpy, too, because she turned 60. (So cheer up!) Mrs. Shady loves to cook and that includes plenty of experimentation. She prepares many exciting dishes and I enjoy the variety. Like you I am turned on by healthy choices and make fresh fruits and vegetables a large part of my daily intake. I'm proud of you for taking matters into your own hands, taking responsibility for fixing what's broken. You are smart for realizing that if you eat more you need to exercise more and that's a much healthier plan than becoming a couch potato eating comfort (junk) food out of sheer boredom. Be sure to thank the part of you that enabled you to make it this far in life and to gain the maturity and wisdom that you now possess. Once again I wish you a very happy birthday, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you Jenny! That's the spirit...it's always good to stay positive and I find running very good myself...I'm going on 45 later this year and plan to do my running for as long as I can..it keeps me alert, fresh and in good shape...And you have already gotten the right attitude by changing your diet..which is really good :) Mainly those two is really good elements to keep yourself fit and in good shape..by eating healthy and exercise regularly. So, there ya go...keep up the good work. And have a fantastic Birthday!
    Big hugs,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're having a super birthday my friend! Sorry to hear that you're feeling grumpy though!! You certainly seem to be on the right track there, with the healthy eating plan and the running. Like you, I love the mediterranean diet and I could happily live on things like that, rather than the usual stodge!! I wish you a very happy and healthy year ahead. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! You are so smart to do good for yourself while still in your 40's. Wish I had, but at least I'm doing something now. I love to cook too... a little too much! But I've made adjustments, and it's amazing what just a couple of small changes can accomplish. Good for you! I wish you many many more happy years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday my friend! I hope you are enjoying that chocolate cake! yum!!! My favorite!

    I am working on getting myself back into shape. I let it slie for a while and now I'm reaping the "rewards" of it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope all went well on your birthday...I'm sure it was a delightful day, what with Elliot and Richard there to bless your day! It is one of the rewards of getting older we start letting ourselves grow, quit taking life so seriously and just 'blossom'!
    Happy Birthdays indeed!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I had a birthday last month. It was 65! And I was grumpy about it as well. Not because it was such a big number but because if I looked 10 or 20 years out (something I have done all my life), the birthdays numbers seemed very very scary! And then I did a mind adjustment and decided that having another 10 or 20 or even 30 years would be grand no matter how big the number was! That was my ticket to a joyous 65th birthday.

    Glad you found your way out of the grump!

    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!