Friday, January 11, 2013

Saint Francis and the Sow

Do you remember your loveliness?

Routine is a shelter I'm living under while the flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder go on in this storm cell of pending possibility.   This year in our little home school, we are deeply into poetry appreciation.  No matter what time we make it to the dining room table, we begin with a reading from random collected works for children.  Today on our table we enjoyed Caroline Kennedy's A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poems for Children.  The collection is divided into themes, which was a new mini lesson for Elliot; he now understands that a theme is something that concisely explains the primary overarching meaning or what something is "about."  When I asked him to give me some examples of theme, he even included his own project, saying that the theme of Elliot's Ninjas is "helping."

We were enjoying the "animals" theme, deciding that some were silly, some were sad, and some were simple yet bright with colorful imagery.  Some poems were full of rhythm,  some full of nonsense.  The poems brought out the need for an explanation of history, like the loss of the buffalo or how people used to say "thee and thou" more than a hundred years ago.

Then, unexpectedly, I discovered a gem:



Saint Francis and the Sow

The bud
stands for all things,
even for those things that don't flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;
though sometimes it is neccessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing;
as Saint Francis
put his hand on the creased forehead
of the sow, and told her in words and in touch
blessings of earth on the sow, and the sow
began remembering all down her thick length,
from the earthen snout all the way
through the fodder and slops to the spiritual curl 
of the tail,
from the hard spininess spiked out from the spine
down through the great broken heart
to the sheer blue milken dreaminess spurting
and shuddering
from the fourteen teats into the fourteen mouths
sucking and blowing beneath them:
the long, perfect loveliness of sow.

                                    Galway Kinnell

 

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm- I loved this. I have such a glorious, satisfied sense after reading it. I had not heard of it, and I already see a crease in my poetry lessons next week where I can use it. Thank you! Elliot is so smart- is he still writing his poetry?

    My students had to memorize a poem and recite it this week. (Part of the curriculum.) One of my 8th grade girls said she doesn't like poetry, doesn't see the value, etc. We've been on sonnets, and we spent scads of time just talking about the beauty of language and how even one word can turn a whole sentence.

    At any rate, she chose Shakespeare's 18th Sonnet to recite. She got up and did it this morning, and halfway through, she slowed a little and her voice caught, and when she got to the line, "So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, so long lives this and this gives life to thee," her eyes welled up and she got some tears, which of course, caused me to do the same. She said she started to really think about it while she practiced it and it was one of the loveliest things she's ever read.

    You're doing a wonderful thing by immersing Elliot with poetry, my friend. Thank you for this post and for that great new poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, that story takes my breath away. That is the magic of teaching that I've long dreamed of experiencing. I'm coming to poetry later in life, and began using it because Elliot struggled so hard with writing. I thought short poems were a good way to begin. Before long he had this incredible poem and as you know, was published in a student collection last year! I decided after reading Georgia Heard's For the Good of the Earth and Sun that we would always have a little bit of poetry every day, like daily bread. It has already enriched my life, and I hope it means that Elliot takes to it like a fish in water as he grows up. I'm so delighted that you loved this one, and will share it with your classes.

      Delete
  2. I've never read this poem before, and I love it. What a beautiful message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a surprise to be reading the children's poems about animals and discover one that really touched my soul! I'm glad you liked it Karen.

      Delete
  3. Wow...I don't know what happened but my comment disappeared. What I started to say was,
    This is why I've missed being able to read your blog and why I'm glad I don't have to try and squint at the iPhone to read while mushing fingers around!
    Lovely sow...sometimes we all need to be reminded of the loveliness within.
    Hugs to you and Elliott~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sush, welcome back!!!! I've missed your presence here and am doing a little happy dance right now. Thank you for stopping by and for the lovely comment:)

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!