Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tupelo, Honey!

Just when things get so dull that I start thinking about making huge changes, I end up being too busy to implement change.

The idea for the name change is still resting comfortably on a spiral notebook, along with the growing list of accounts to alter.  All of a sudden it doesn't seem so important.  What's in a name, anyway?  Whenever someone might ask "where did you get that?"  they'll answer "oh, I found it on Etsy."  It seems that individual Etsy shop names are so numerous and creative that they get lumped together under the big name.  So that situation is on hold for the moment, because two bigger situations have arrived in my workshop.

Those situations are actual work.

Paid work.

Last week I was delighted to receive a request from the founder of the Tupelo Ballet Company for custom headpieces!

Cinderella is going to the ball, and silver and white unicorns are leading the carriage! Here are a few pictures of the headpieces in progress:



Right on the heels of this order, I've received a note from my good friend Erica who teaches music at an elementary school in Michigan.  For three years she has placed a large order for her spring musicals.  This year, the students are performing Winnie the Pooh.  The list of characters in the cast is long, and with an addition of twenty dancers, I'm going to be sewing every single day for the next month.  Life is good.

It's so good in so many ways.

Over the weekend, Elliot seemed to grow up.  I mean, it's happening in increments every day, but I'm really starting to notice the way his face is filling out.  I'm noticing how his hair is getting thicker and darker.  His eyebrows are fuller.     His body is bigger.  His mind is making leaps and his skills are increasing.  

This weekend, while cleaning out the garage with Richard, he found a pair of Emily's old roller blades.  Even though they are a size too large, he's been out skating in the driveway every day.  His large motor coordination is becoming much better, and he's even able to skate while holding the back of his dad's moving bike. 

Along with all this growth, Elliot has become more helpful around the house without prompting.  He wouldn't want me to post a picture of him with a mop, but I did take one of him cleaning the floor in our dining room/classroom this weekend.  Apparently it was a good decision on my part to not clean so much.  He actually noticed dust on the floor and wanted to get rid of it.      


Next month, Elliot will be speaking to three high school economics classes about Elliot's Ninjas: Helping the Homeless One Ninja at a Time.  He will be answering questions they've prepared through the medium of Skype.  My cousin Mary is a teacher in Michigan and when she found out about Elliot's project, she shared his story with other teachers.  We have been in contact with the economics teacher and are awaiting the student's questions.  If you have any bits of encouragement or advice for Elliot, I will make sure that he reads your comments today.  Thank you so much to everyone who has been supporting his efforts!!!!








7 comments:

  1. How wonderful! First of all, those headpieces are truly works of art. How long does it take you to make each one? Word of your talent is spreading and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't too long before you have to employ an assistant just to keep up.

    Second, congratulations to handsome, helpful Elliot! He is really going to help those students and plant seeds of inspiration to them. I had to do a teleconference by Skype a year or so ago and I found that it's a little weird at first, and on my end there was a lapse of a few seconds between real time and when I actually got it, but they are going to love him. I would tell him to just be himself and he can't go wrong with that.

    And also let him know what a great thing it is to be so helpful. There are many adults who never learned that skill and it handicaps them in all they do.

    Bravo to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelly, for being here with us every step of the way. You inspire us in so many ways. I will share your words with Elliot today. It's so important for him to hear from someone besides his mom and dad. I am so thankful for friends like you!

      Delete
    2. P.S. The headpieces take hours! But I enjoy it very much. Handmade projects help me to settle down into a good place emotionally.

      Delete
  2. Wow, wow! The headpieces are gorgeous. I wish I had a reason to need one... They're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your headpieces are so beautiful and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Winnie the Pooh project. Mia and Hayden continue to enjoy what you made them for Christmas - imagination runs wild in that house!
    Elliott is an amazing young man and the high school classes are going to be very impressed with what he's done. Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! It's such happy news for me to hear that Mia and Hayden are still playing with their Knees and Paws. I was thinking about the girls and wishing I had thought to add the roses and ribbons on theirs. I really hope the skype interview goes well! Surely, it will be a great learning experience no matter what happens.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!