Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Blue Trailer

There was a time when I lived in a narrow trailer in the north woods of Michigan, far removed from convenient shopping, from cultural events, from higher education, from society. One could not see a single sign of human life from my front porch. The light blue trailer, with its dangerous electrical wiring, occasional mice (thankfully gone after adopting a cat), and solitude, stands out as a sad chapter of my life. It should have been a really happy time, especially given my love for natural surroundings. I should have been happy, given that I was incredibly blessed to have a sweet tempered, beautiful curly haired daughter. But I was severely unsatisfied with nearly every other aspect of my existence. Although I was a diligent housekeeper and kept everything clean, the ugly sight of our poverty showed in every room.

In the winter and spring, our road was impassable. I used to walk a mile in knee deep snow, sliding my groceries home in a plastic sled while coaxing my daughter to follow. In spring, the mud was so thick that attending preschool was an event. We walked together, hand in hand, sliding and falling until reaching the drier road where our car was parked. When we finally arrived at her preschool, the mud stains on her purple snow pants reached above her knees. Her teacher's mouth dropped at the sight of us.
I didn't own a computer and could not afford many long distance calls to my mom. Sometimes I went to church but felt alone among the crowd.

Then I joined a Mops group and met a truly beautiful friend. I spent hours sharing coffee at her house, too embarrassed to invite her to mine.
I will always remember the loving reassurance and hope that Wendy generously gave me. Although we have drifted apart, the memory of her sweetness stands out against the gray days of my silent misery.
Although that time is long past, the experience of it continues to influence me. I want to be that kind of friend that Wendy was to me. This year I've been so blessed to meet a lot of truly amazing women...many of you who are reading this now!
Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement. Thanks for offering bits of your lives for me to read. Your stories keep me connected and full of appreciation for the struggle and the bliss of life.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What an absolutely amazing story you have to share! I'd love to read more of your memories! You should think of typing them up and saving them in a scrapbook for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! It made me so happy that you finally had a friend and that gratitude still flows out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting the ARF blog and letting me know about the links. I am trying to fix it right now. We're better with dogs than computers!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new follower!

    I just joined a MOPS group to get connected. Thankful for those women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now following you thanks to Social Parade on Friday and it would be nice if you could share the love back on my blog!
    Also today we have the coolest blog hop there is... no rules just fun and would love you to join in with us at Boost My Blog Friday :)
    Plus, don't forget, if you need any help increasing your blog's traffic, you know where to come! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your honesty. I've had times where I felt isolated. Usually those end up being good growing times because I hear God better when my life isn't so busy. I can take time to think and reflect on the things that are truly important.

    I have times when I compare my home to others and feel like mine comes up short. Some people are gifted in making a house look homey. I'm not one of them, but I do appreciate a warm, welcoming home. I finally realized that people don't come over to evaluate my house. They enjoy visiting with me and my family. They enjoy good conversation, hospitality, kindness, sincere inquiries into how they're doing, encouragement, affirmation. Things I can do, no matter how nice my house is or isn't.

    I was involved with MOPS for 5 years in the town we used to live in. I love that organization and was blessed with the people and programs.

    This is getting to be a long comment,so I'll close for now. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you from social parade. Check out some kid friendly giveaways at my blog! I love your story and I have been at a place like that for a while but God is good and He is always with us, no matter where we are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI There,
    Following back from Spotlight Saturday... I see your Spotlight blog didn't come out right and I actually just figured out what causes the &39 to show up.. Its the apostrophes that do it. So if you leave them out it won't show.. I'll email Kel and have her take them out for you when she gets a chance so everyone knows what it is..
    HAve a great weekend
    Staycee
    www.sjunkie.com

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!