Friday, September 17, 2010

Putting Your Mind To It

It's been rather lonely here. My few regular visitors seem to have lost interest. This makes me a little sad but living in denial won't help. Perhaps I'm failing to connect to readers in their minds and hearts.

This blog started out as a way to document my journey into business as I transitioned from college and several unsatisfying and unsafe working conditions. I was so tired of asking God and myself where I was meant to work that I simply came home. And stayed here.
I wasn't meant to continue to clean the library while my boss watched everything I did from the security cameras ( such a yukky feeling to know you're watched...different from knowing you're being read). I couldn't accept that I could never have my children visit me at work even though my workplace was a learning institution. I struggled with sleep deprivation from rising at 3:30 every morning. The sleep deprivation was what got me in the end. It's a soul stealing, personality erasing condition.

I didn't want to live in that sleepy fog so soon after quitting smoking and exercising. I wanted to enjoy my life and use my intellect and creativity to the fullest. At the time, I felt that the only person who would appreciate those aspects of myself was me.
It was Jill Bolte Taylor in My Stroke of Insight who helped me take the next steps into my new life. As she shared her story of recovery from a debilitating stroke, I felt empowered to embark upon a beginning. She taught me things about my brain that I needed to know. I started seeing myself as a person with an amazing capacity to expand my life and my satisfaction with life by taking on new challenges. Instead of saying "I'm a technophobe. I could never learn any of that stuff they do on computers" I started to try.

I'm still not at a really comfortable place doing this. I mean, yes, I'm comfy at home of course, but still there are uncomfortable aspects. There are oceans of people just like me out there, trying to sell something from home.
There is still so much to learn. But learning is an addictive sort of activity. The fact that I'm ignorant on so many fronts when it comes to business is what makes this fun for me.
And of course, I also do it to show by example the importance of trusting the still small voice inside that leads the way. There are endless possibilities to manifest the things that lay quietly under the surface. One day, my children might need a reference; an example in the real world, a story they can relate to an remember. A story that they watched unfold. I hope by the time they are making decisions about their life's work that I don't have to tell them the old cliche' "you can do anything you put your mind to". I hope they will have absorbed it as a fact of life.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the visit. Great blog! I'm following you back.

    livingwellspendingless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of your for taking the leap of faith and leaving that bad work environment. Also congratulations on quiting smoking. I believe that your kids will know from watching you that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a heartfelt and touching post. It's real, it's raw and it's beautiful. I think that blogs have really changed over the last year, and it's so easy to see blogs everywhere that are about getting followers and comments... and it's a good thing, but different from the days of having conversations and building friendships. It's not as easy to do that now. Even for me, I'm a mom of two... my daughter just turned 4 and I have a new baby, so time is less. Just keep it real and do this for you... comments will start coming back I'm sure. Good luck in your business! You sound like a strong woman! :)

    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so inspirational :) Doing what you do... it takes courage and such a leap of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fellow Michigander?? Yay!! You'll have to let me know when you come home for a visit! :)

    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the raw honesty in the post. You wrote an amazing piece. Stopping from Mom Loop. Stop by and join the Friday Follow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely blog im following you through design chic's friday blog hop :)

    http://fuyumeuk.blogspot.com

    xxx love from the UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. Learning is addictive. Keep working hard and those things that are a challenge will just get easier. I'm sure you're already a great example to your kids, and continued learning is just going to help them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower. Thanks for following Mommy Time Out. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your very honest post. Congratulations on setting goals and reaching them. You've got a really cute, unique product. I hope it does well. To be honest, while I wish you all the best in your business and like hearing how things are going, I probably enjoy the posts about your personal life best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennie: I just found your blog and LOVE it!!! -You have truly captured your life here in Michigan and brought back memories of the neighborhood and growing up here. Love the stories about your Dad and the stories and pictures of your kids. I have added this to my "favorites" so I can enjoy your blog. You have been very blessed in you life and thanks for sharing that.
    Congratulations on 1) your Knees & Paws business (the knees & paws are so cute) and 2) on that fact that you quit smoking. That is a very big challenge and a very important accomplishment. I am very proud you were able to quit and you should be very proud of yourself. Good Luck in all of you adventures
    Dona Jenks

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!