Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Raw Materials



Do you ever wonder why God decided on clay as the raw material for forming humans? Perhaps it was because clay is easily molded. It's basic structure and pliability makes it endlessly variable.

In one way, God and I think alike. I like raw materials and experience a deep satisfying pleasure of making something from scratch. Although it takes time, growing flowers and vegetables from seeds I've planted or a baking the perfect loaf of homemade bread send happiness bubbles through my veins. I love how formless "stuff" can be turned into beautiful, delicious or sustaining things.
Recently I discovered an old yellow laundry basket full of wood blocks at a flea market. They were just like the ones I had as a child. Although I'm teaching myself how to save and have money, they were completely worth the five dollars I spent. Taking them home and spreading them out on a rainy afternoon with my son was the most fun I've had in a while.

We pretended all sorts of things. We built houses and barns and roads. He was delighted that I spent the whole day playing and creating from our imaginations. I discovered that we both share a love of building and creating together.
So if there is a new personal metaphor for my life right now, I think it might be "raw materials".
It fits with the process of building a new business and a career for myself from scratch.

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! I do love how things like flour can become the most amazing loaf of bread, a cotton flour can turn into the tee I'm wearing, and clay can turn into the most beautiful vase. It's amazing when you think about the complexity of the world and how God just seamlessly brought it all together.

    xo Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really inspiring post. I love raw material that's ready to be created but never been too deep about it.

    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this post. Sometimes it's just those little moments, an afternoon of imaginative play, that means the most to our precious ones. Love your special time with your little guy. Good job mama!!
    :)
    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool Picture. New follow from the Blog Hop www.athomemoma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing - to find something that you remembered enjoying, and have it be something your son enjoys. Sounds like you got your money's worth out of the blocks. My kids spent hours playing with our wooden blocks. Blocks also make a great example of starting things off right. It's critical to lay a good foundation if you don't want your stack of blocks to fall over. It's hard to stack blocks very high if the bottom ones aren't stacked carefully. I like your personal metaphor of "raw materials."

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!