Monday, September 20, 2010

On Peace

You know it when you have it and suffer when it's lost. I lost my peace on Sunday and am slowly coming back to it. Quakers like to say that there is no "way to peace" that "peace is the way". I've been intentionally practicing the way of peace for two years, but sometimes the "dark side" (as in Star Wars) takes over.

And here it is, Monday morning. The house is peaceful. Elliot went back to school after being out sick last week. My husband is at work. There's a candle burning in my office and the house is clean. Perfectly peaceful. Except inside my head and heart.

Losing my cool makes me weak. I don't care for the experience no matter what conventional wisdom says about 'getting it all out'.
It's exhausting and depleting. Especially this habit I have of replaying the ugly scene, over and over in my mind. In the film clip, I am the monster.
The one who hurts and stabs her love with harsh words.

So now what? I could try to analyze the source, discover where it started, logically explain to myself and those around me why I blew up. I told our son that sometimes even Mommy has to battle the dark side and sometimes she loses. Before going to sleep last night, he said "I hope my prayer worked for you, Mom. I asked God to put angel wings over you to protect you from the dark side."
And this really made me feel better. In my failure to be loving, my son's faith grew. Through his simple prayer, mine did too.

Although it's a shame that we have to learn things through negative experiences, the incident was valuable. Elliot watched first hand the way my husband responded (he remained positive despite being my target). Then he witnessed, over the course of the day, my struggle...but ultimately my ability to soften my heart and return to my peaceful self.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with how real and honest you are. It's not easy. Don't feel alone, we all have those times where we're someone we don't want to be. It sounds like you're on the other side, and that comes through learning and changing. I definitely think our thoughts are such a huge art of what choices we make, and the quicker we stop thinking about the bad place we've been and continually think about love and the good, we'l find ourselves farther and farther from that place, but the more I think about it, even in trying to analyze it, the more I repeat it. That's what I've found for me. Feel better soon!! Oh and your son sounds like the sweetest little guy!!
    :)
    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you ordered or will check out those books at the library that I recommended in my last post...
    Sending you some love today.
    Right now? This moment? It's brand new. Soak it in :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!