Sunday, January 23, 2011

Baking Bread From Scratch

I love to bake bread almost as much as I love to create items for the Etsy shop. As some of you know, we had to live without a fully functional kitchen for several months due to water damage from a broken dishwasher hose. To celebrate our kitchen being almost finished, this Sunday I baked two loaves of bread. My secret to making the bread rise beautifully is to use very hot water to activate the yeast (120 degrees!) It is also helpful to bake something else in the oven while the dough rises on the warm stove top. The following recipe is taken from the Wedding Cookbook by Betty Crocker.

Country White Bread

5 to 5 1/2 loaves of bread flour
1 t sugar
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups very warm water 120 degrees
2 T vegetable or olive oil
2 t salt

1. Mix 2 cups of flour, sugar and yeast, add warm water and stir.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until bubbly
3. Stir in oil and salt. Stir in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Knead dough for at least ten minutes. No cheating!
4. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm place for one hour.
5. Grease loaf pan and place dough inside the pan. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

6. place a pan of water on the bottom rack, then place loaf above. Bake 35-40 min.

The dough rises best when dinner is baking in the oven.

Wheat and White Country Loaves

Wonderful with Pot Roast!

5 comments:

  1. I use a recipe very close to that... and there is absolutely nothing better than fresh bread!! :) It's on my to do list for today actually!
    Glad you have a fully functioning kitchen again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that looks so good... I Love home made bread. I understand about the kitchen, I have another friend who just had the same problem.. dang dishwashers... our issue is our oven is broken. As soon as it is working again I am going to try this recipe.. I have been doing the http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1616 it is super easy and I can keep the dough in the fridge and just make tiny bits of it at a time (toaster oven ) it is good.. but not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I need to practice my bread making skills! It is a something we all should learn how to do even if we don't do it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We, too, had the water damage from broken dishwasher problem and all the accompanying stress and repair. Not a fun time, not fun at all, but we muddled through. We ended up purchasing a Bosch for the replacement, but were advised by both our appliance repair guy and the appliance store that a Dwip-Pan for non-Bosch dishwashers is highly recommended. I'd never heard of it before.

    The breads (and the pot roast!) look heavenly. I've had friends who think of kneading dough as a zen activity; a pleasant time for solitary meditation. I wish I felt that way too because fresh homemade bread is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!