Monday, January 31, 2011

Does My Happy Make You Sad?



     On the radio yesterday I listened with interest as a deejay reported findings of a study about fb. She shared results that point toward an affect of reading other people's happy statuses.  Apparently this makes people feel worse about themselves.  Some reported that it ruined their day to read of someone's good fortune.
     I'm not sure that this is true, at least for me.  But I am not in high school or college anymore and tend not to feel threatened by another person's happiness.  But if I am truly honest, I love a good, sad drama about people surviving terrible conditions.  Ever read Angela's Ashes or watch the movie?  I couldn't put it down.  Frank McCourt's childhood has to be one of the worst cases of poverty I've ever read...even topping my dad's childhood on the suffering index. Perhaps the fb study shows us a paradox.  Sadness evokes good feelings.  Feelings that connect us to one another when we struggle and grieve.
     I was still thinking of this paradox while watching AFV with Elliot.  If ever there was an occasion to laugh happily at people having mishaps that look painful, this is it.  Lifting people up by knocking them down is a theater that's been going strong for over 20 years.
    It reminds me of childhood. My father had a string of serious accidents each year.  One year he drove off the road after a sneezing attack and broke his nose.  Another year he broke a bone in his foot while playing soccer with his brother in law.  Once he broke his thumb at the joint catching a baseball with his bare hand at a family reunion.  On a cold winter's night one December, he shattered his ankle while skiing behind a snowmobile.  And each time, my father's pain sent my mother into fits of giggles.   Our hospital, Wheelock, had an emergency room staff who knew my dad by his first name.  When he'd come in to report his bad fortune, my mother would start
saying, "Rog, is it time to go to Wheeeeelock?" Te-he-ing all the way as she drove.  I can still see my dad looking up to the sky, silently asking God why his wife was filled with laughter at his pain.
   Both of my parents loved AFV because it showed them that they were normal.
     And then, if I tell you that on my wedding day, my parents and Richard's parents were in a high speed car accident with one another on the way to the chapel having-never-met-in-person before, you might start to chuckle.  The newspapers wanted that story so badly they wouldn't stop calling.
     It was a feel good story.  When I think about how we could have been in the morgue identifying bodies instead of shakily sharing our vows..


Yes, we went on with the wedding after a slight three hour delay.
    Then we drove them directly to the ER where they received pain medication and insisted that they be driven to the reception where there were double scotches to drink and embarrassing toasts to make.  We celebrated being ALIVE and together.




So, I can understand why this study makes logical sense.  It's like the feeling of safety you get while driving past and accident scene.
      I'm not saying that I'll stop writing happy statuses, but it's true.  Someone's image of perfection kinda makes me feel, well, a little messy.  But thankfully, we are all bloggers in this room.  We tell it straight and we keep it positive and we support one another.  We have a lot more to say to one another than will fit in a status bar.  We are not brought down by our shared joy.

5 comments:

  1. hmmm well.. your comment on facebook I responded to very quickly... and I stand by what I said there.. I do think that happy is like a cold..easy to pass around... but.. with that being said and with reading your blog post I got to thinking... and I do think there is a balance.. sharing ALL our experiences... well not each one but a variety of them.. helps people to relate to us. I do tend to keep things as much on a positive side as I can when I am online.. I am online with the focus of it being my business...well I was until twitter and facebook and blogging came along. Now the line is abit more confused. I know I do not want to be one of the people who is always complaining about their aches and how wrong life is treating them.. but I also know that days go by where I do not post anything or come near the computer.. because some days life is not so perfect and I know if I sit down I will vent something. I think I am afraid of posting something not happy and then sucking myself into a self pity party or scaring people away. Once again you have given me much to think about :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand this either ... maybe it's because I'm five years out of college, as you mentioned, and I really feel good for other people when they are experiencing happiness. Although, I do crave authenticity, which is why I love blogs. Because social media statuses can be painted very rosey, and as you said, many of us bloggers tend to show the bigger picture of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thought provoking post! I certainly try to keep my Blog as positive as I can. I don't think you can really compare facebook with blogging, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what an incredible story! Thank God everyone was fine, that could have turned out so horribly. And yes, it such a great thing to think about. I wonder what my posts stir in others? I guess I need to think about how I feel when reading others'. Thanks for the thought provoking post! :)

    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabitha, thank you for noticing the story within the story...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!