Monday, February 6, 2012

Put on a Smile



I was wearing a matching set of exercise clothing with a puffy vest over the whole ensemble. My hair was flat and my face was devoid of makeup.  As I stepped into the vehicle to take Elliot to a class, I mentioned that I felt like I looked like a complete nerd.  Elliot said, "Mom, just put on a smile!"

A moment later he asks, "are you wearing any makeup?"

"No."

"I can tell."





*****


  A day later, while he's sitting in his new acting class at the cultural center, the teacher asks the children to say their name aloud to the group and tell one thing about themselves such as a favorite color, or if they like to sing.  Elliot is sitting next to the only other boy in the class, a boy who is too shy to speak to the group.  The teacher asks this boy at least three times to share his name.  Then Elliot says "He's shy.  He wouldn't even tell me his name."  The teacher responds by asking Elliot if the boy is his friend.  Elliot says "No, but I'd like to be."



And that shy little boy put on a smile.

7 comments:

  1. Elliot is already very adept at what some adults never master- the art of compassion and empathy, with humor thrown in! He sounds like a really great kid.

    I had to laugh when he said he could tell you weren't really wearing any makeup. They are so observant. A few years ago, in a class I had right after lunch, I made a habit of reapplying lipstick as soon as I got into the room. One day I forgot, and a boy raised his hand and asked, "Ma'am, are you wearing lipstick? Because if you're not, you might want to put it on. Your smile disappears without it." Hmmm. Fashion advice from an 8th grader...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerdy girls are in, Jenny. Just ask Tina Fey. Your story about Elliot's shy classmate reminds me of my own experience in first grade. In an elementary school of hundreds there was only one black student, a shy boy that nobody else seemed interested in adding as a friend. I became his friend, his only friend, and to this day I thank my mother for teaching me at an early age to be color blind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently sporting a smile...thank your son!
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweetheart! i bet elliott and isaiah would be great friends! he is his mother's child and i think you'd make sure to befriend other shy people around you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elliot is wise beyond his years and we can all learn from his example. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elliot has the kind of heart rarely seen...true and loving and kind. Well done, Mom.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful person you are raising... you are an Awesome mom! He sure made me smile and I will remember this post when I need another smile :) ~thanks to you both

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!