Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What have I seen that I can't forget?

What have I seen that I can't forget?


I have seen hot air balloons fly over my head in our back yard in Michigan. Ballooons so close I could hear the burner and the people talking.  This happened several times during my childhood.  We lived near a huge field that was a regular landing spot for the Captain Fogg Balloon company.  The grass was green and soft under my bare feet as I ran to follow the floating orb of red and blue, feeling like Alice when she's small.  I remember lifting up my arms and waving like mad to the people inside.  They used to wave back. I wished that I could keep running with them, but a busy road prevented me from crossing into the field.  I think I might have been disappointed to see the deflated result. 

Every year after the Thanksgiving turkey wishbone had dried, if it was my turn to wish, I wished for a hot air balloon ride.  I have never achieved that dream, but being so close to the balloons when I was a child was an experience that lifted me over the trees in my imagination.

Sometimes I would dream that I had the power to fly.  With outstretched arms I had the sensation of soaring above the tops of trees that were in the peak of summer, fully rounded out with green.  I flew over a white chapel with a steeple (now that I think of it, that chapel has appeared in my work!)  Near the end of the dream, the sensation of flying became a little scary as I approached the ground.  Everything got closer and it seemed that my speed was increasing rather than slowing down gently.  But somehow I was able to regain control and land on my feet without dying.  I'm not sure if that dream is something I've truly "seen" but I can't forget it.

That dream is something that connects me to hang glider pilots everywhere.  After my first lesson, the instructors said that they rarely see students who are able to get much lift or land their first flights.  They asked me if I flew in my dreams.






5 comments:

  1. I luxuriated in every sentence of this beautiful piece. What talent you have, my friend. Not only do you fly, but you take the rest of us flying with you.

    Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a boy I often dreamed of flying. I have had many close encounters with hot air balloons because I currently live 1.25 miles from an airport which hosts an annual balloon festival. The distinctive sound of the burners always alerts me and I rush outside in time to watch the balloons as they drift directly over my house, sometimes as low as 50 feet. I wave to the occupants and they reciprocate. The down side is the fact that at least one major airline has established a flight schedule at this small airport bringing more noise to our once peaceful neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I have thought it would be cool to go for a ride in a hot air ballon only one problem I am afraid of open heights......lol Damn there are some escaltors that I can't ride because of it......lol yes it's funny but it is also not so funny when I just can't bring myself to step on the bloody thing............lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go up in one of those! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hot air balloons.. my mom always wanted to go one so my sisters and I sent her up for her birthday one year.. she loved it... some day I hope to go... I see them regular in the area :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!