Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Fighting Quaker

While it's true that Greensboro is a very green place in every sense of the word, the city's name was chosen to honor General Nathaniel Greene.  Natty Greene was a major general of the continental army during the Revolutionary War.  He was born to a Quaker family in 1742, and although his father discouraged him in "literary accomplishments" he educated himself in mathematics and law.  He is most remembered in Greensboro for leading his troops into battle against General Cornwallis at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.  The location of this battle has been preserved and protected as a National Military Park.  Today I have some pictures of our recent visit to the park, along with some of my favorite Natty Greene quotes.  The quotes have helped me to resolve a recent inner conflict about the challenge our nation faces to protect and secure our southern border.  Nathaniel Greene was a Quaker and a pacifist, but eventually was led to act in opposition to his pacifist beliefs. 

Here are a few of my favorite Greene quotes:



"It had been happy for me if I could have lived a private life in peace and plenty, enjoying all the happiness that results from a well-tempered society founded on mutual esteem. But the injury done my country, and the chains of slavery forging for all posterity, calls me forth to defend our common rights, and repel the bold invaders of the sons of freedom." Nathanael Greene to his wife, Catharine Littlefield Greene.

 "We are soldiers who devote ourselves to arms not for the invasion of other countries, but for the defense of our own, not for the gratification of our private interests but for public security"

 "Learning is not virtue but the means to bring us an acquaintance with it. Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. Let these be your motives to action through life, the relief of the distressed, the detection of frauds, the defeat of oppression, and diffusion of happiness."


To read more about the battle, click here.



The site of the battle is now a beautiful park with a canopy of trees so big that walking into the park feels like air conditioning even on a hot, humid day.  It is a sanctuary of sorts; people love to come here to ride bikes, run, walk their dogs, and simply drive through.  Picnics are not allowed, neither is sunbathing or other activities that one would normally do at a recreational park. We enjoy it because it's a quiet, cool refuge from the busy city traffic and intense sun.

Elliot loves to goof around.  I think he's trying to place a call.

I'm not sure what he heard inside the empty cannon.
So he must have left a message at the sound of the tone.
The children love Richard and listen to him talk about the history of the park and the natural things they encounter.
The children were interested in the story of the battle.
The battlefield.  Every year on May 15, there is a reenactment of the battle and a camp is set up for visitors to see how folks lived, worked and fought during the war.


The fighting Quaker stands tall.

4 comments:

  1. What a terrific piece, Jenny. I was moved and inspired by the Natty Green quotes. Your pictures were terrific, too! Such lovely, lush landscapes are all around you. I'm glad the kids were interested in the history of it and had fun all at the same time. Elliot's new t shirts are inspired!

    And, after talking it over with my husband, I am resuming my runs through our back pastures this afternoon. I am not going to be held hostage by the thought of those people anymore and I am going to trust God. I have great peace about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, I'm so glad you will not let the fear of brutality stop you from living the life you have a right to live. I will put my trust in God to protect you, which is a difficult act of faith. It's difficult because I realize that there are no certainties; difficult because I am afraid. It's difficult and I know that this must have been a challenge for your husband. I'm glad that you have peace after what must have been a heart wrenching dilemma to face. Angel wings over my friend!

      Delete
  2. Elliot reminds me of myself at his age when I went with the scouts to visit the Gettysburg Battlefield not far from my home in York. I loved to climb around on the boulders and look down cannon barrels. It was fun. As a child I had little comprehension of the reality of war and the unspeakable horror that took place on the land I was using as a playground .

    Shelly's plight is very much on my mind these days, and the third Green quote resonated most with me. I am a pacifist through and through, so much so that I need to flip a switch in my brain and override the hardwired circuitry to accept the notion of violence and war, even when it is in defense of all that's good. In this modern day and age individuals, groups and nations that are determined to do evil are very often drawing upon vast resources of wealth and intelligence. They can not be defeated by wishful thinking alone. Like it or not we must all gear up for the challenge. As the song lyrics remind us "It's better to have and don't need than to need and don't have." We all need to stay fit and strong, alert and aware, and fortify ourselves with knowledge as much as with weaponry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady, Thank you for the thoughtful comment. I was thinking about how this sacred place is now a place where children can run free (and look down the barrel of a cannon) without fear of violence. And it makes me thankful for those who sacrificed their lives for this precious gift. I like your line "like it or not we must all gear up for the challenge."

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!