Monday, May 14, 2012

You're Always With Me

Cat Stevens sang, "I'm always talkin to you"  even when he couldn't think of "right words to say."  The memory of How Can I Tell You reminds me that I've been living 800 miles away from my daughter for four years, yet I don't really feel her absence because of a spiritual connection.  The only way to get through the surprise of her decision not to come home was to remember the power of the spirit to fly.  I told Emily that I feel like we're always together.  I also told her that I have no expectations or demands, or even requests.  This is an important time in a young woman's life: the last two weeks of high school.  It's a heady time of great change and she will have to say a lot of goodbyes.

Thank you to my sweet, loving, kindhearted friends who held my hand and comforted me when I was really feeling painfully rejected and hurt.  You are the best friends anyone could ever have.

Today is an important day.  Today, many good things are happening.  Elliot will go to the post office with an armload of envelopes!  His first few days in business were such a smashing success that he sold out on his first day.  By Sunday, he was up to 13 sales!  I can't explain the excitement in his heart.  His mission is already changing his perspective.  Yesterday we had the opportunity to sit next to a panhandler while we were in traffic. I said, "Elliot, if that man is truly homeless, you are helping him.  He doesn't know it, but you know it.  Just because you aren't giving him cash right now doesn't mean you don't care about his situation."  While we drove through the changing light, I looked at this man's wrinkled face, his red curly hair, and made eye contact.  I said a little prayer and kept going.  Elliot said, "I noticed he had something around his neck.  I wonder if it was a work badge like Daddy wears.  Do you think he has another job?"

So we are opening up this very complex problem.  We are unpacking a box of parts to assemble, seeing for the first time how panhandling and homelessness are two separate things.  We are talking about things like substance abuse, mental illness and poverty.  We are talking about the different places and situations homeless people may find themselves in.  How each homeless person, or each homeless family, have different problems that they are facing.  That they have battles to fight that we can't see.  Some may sleep in parking garages, some in tents in the camps.  Some have refuge in shelters, and some may sleep under underpasses and bridges.  On our bike rides through the park, we have noticed  holes in the fence at the back of the cemetery.  We talked about how the cemetery would be a safe place to sleep at night, because people who might take advantage of a lonely homeless person would be afraid to hang out with the dead at night. 

We talked about personal pride and the desire of the homeless to be invisible.

We are still unpacking this box.  Not all of the pieces are going to fit.  We are imagining the unseen homeless while also looking closely at their faces. 

Elliot has dictated a letter to go along with his paintings.  This idea was inspired by Shelly and I want to thank her so much for suggesting it.  Now everyone who buys a painting will also receive Elliot's words.  I will not share the letter here, because I feel it needs to be opened by the people who are supporting Elliot and encouraging him to keep moving forward.  It is the kind of straightforward language of a child who speaks plainly and matter of fact.  It contains a particular line that I will remember forever.   It leaves me in awe at the tenderness and sensitivity of my child's heart.

Here's to many good things happening for you today.

You're always with me.


8 comments:

  1. Altruism and charitable giving can become a habit and a good one. At the same time it can consume you. You can become overwhelmed by the enormity of society's problems and depressed when you realize that you can't solve them all. If you give to one person or organization you feel the need to give to all. You exhaust yourself and deplete your own family's resources. You are wise for trying to make Elliot understand how easy it is for generous people to become victims of scams. Panhandlers have learned many tricks. They play upon our sympathy. Some are in genuine need of a helping hand. Others want money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes. Homelessness and panhandling are indeed complex issues that our government leaders seem unable or unwilling to deal with. The best way to proceed is to give wisely and effectively through vetted agencies. Elliot's business venture is an excellent idea. I'm glad to know that he's enjoying it and that it's a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a wise mom, Jenny. Graciously allowing your daughter to have her wings, even when your heart is so desperately wanting to hold her close, is a guarantee that she will always find her way back to you, not because of compulsion, but for the best reason of all: she wants to be with you. And it will come, I can promise you. It will come.

    I am so proud of Elliot- I can't wait to share his work and words with my students. I know it will make an impact on them. Elliot is so inspiring because he shows you don't have to wait to spread kindness. You don't have to wait to be the right age, or until you have enough money, or until you have the right job. You just do it, what you possibly can, right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly your comment fills my bucket today! Thank you so very much for sharing these words; I am truly uplifted by your friendship. I am going to copy the last line of your comment and frame it in my house.

      Delete
  3. I hear the call of warning in your comment today Shady. And I appreciate the wisdom in what you say. There is no cure for homelessness, but comfort to the weary and displaced can be given. This is Elliot's mission. Just to give some comfort. He is learning a lot of other things too, like how to pay his first bill, how to budget his expenses, and the reality of what is left over after all of the effort. It takes money to make money. It takes work. Richard is adamant about Elliot learning the reality of the math. I am the other voice that will do whatever I can to let the spirit of the child's giving heart be set free. Together there will be balance, pragmatism mixed with imagination and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny you are so kind to share your open heart with us all and Emily and Elliot have such a fine role model in you.It's wonderful to hear in your 'voice' how you are able to move on and encourage Emily's growth. Life is always a surprise wrapped up in a learning lesson....
    Hugs to you all~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sush, thank you so much for being there right at that tough moment. You were my angel, and still are!

      Delete
  5. I think Elliot is learning some valuable lessons, not the least of which is charity and compassion. It's true - we can't help everyone. We can only help those who want to be helped, but for many, even if today isn't the day, tomorrow might be. We can never stop feeling compassion and being charitable with our time and talents. It helps others, but more than anything else, we help ourselves grow through our charitable acts and compassion for others' pain. Our youngest son struggles with mental health, and I know for a fact, were it not for our strong family supporting him, he could very well be one of those living on the streets. There's not enough help to go around, so we do what we can as a family. And so far, it's been enough, and Andrew is one of the lucky ones, safe and healthy. He lives in Utah, where things are a little bit more kind and gentle. Kudos to your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karen, I'm so happy to know that Andrew has the support and love of his family, and that he's doing good. We just don't always know what to do, and cannot fathom what kind of struggle someone might be having. Thank you for your kind comment and encouragement, it really means so much.

      Delete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!