Sunday, May 27, 2012

Talking to Fireflies

Last night, under a brilliant crescent moon, Elliot talked to fireflies. 


He talked to them using an LED tea light, flicking the little switch on and off. They responded with their own light signals, flying close and hovering, curious and hopeful.



Earlier in the day, we moved our home school classroom to the back porch, and now look forward to our summer schedule of reading, immersing ourselves in nature, making art, swimming, traveling and entertaining.  Soon we will be in Michigan, celebrating Emily's graduation.



We are looking forward to campfires, starlight and gentle breezes.  We are impatiently waiting to see my mom, my brothers and of course, Emily. Elliot is looking forward to a wilderness hike on North Manitou island, a place once inhabited and now deserted except for a ranger station.  We're all looking forward to dining at an amazing restaurant called Old Hamlin, where the fried chicken is the most divine food we've ever eaten. 

We'll be kayaking, tent camping, fishing, swimming and hiking with my family and Ozzie too.  It is my favorite time of the year.

The writing I'll be doing will be on paper with pens.

The only thing I haven't packed yet is a good book, although I just ordered Fifty Famous Stories Retold for Elliot.  What have you read recently that you couldn't put down?  The last novel that kept my emotions engaged was The Help.  I would love to find one with that level of depth and quality for my summer reading list.

Maybe this time I won't need a book.  Maybe this time, a book would distract me from my loved ones and from my revitalized appreciation for the northern climate.  It's always good to go home.

While we are away, Elliot and I will be closing our Etsy shops, with the intention to re open when we return.  When I am back, the push to stock up Knees and Paws in preparation for my biggest season will be in full gear.  Elliot has plans to keep painting for the homeless men in Tent city and may even have a chance to bring his gifts to them in person. 

So I will say a little goodbye this morning, with gratitude for your friendship and anticipation for what is to come.

Love,

Jenny


8 comments:

  1. Jenny, I am so happy for the thrilling, family saturated times you all have coming up. To get to see family and experience all the adventures you have planned is going to be amazing. I know Emily's graduation is going to be the cherry on top of it all!

    And to write with pen and paper is something I've been telling myself I need to do. I am going to read The Paris Wife first this summer, and I hope it's good.

    Have a wonderful time, my friend, and we will look forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelly! I will miss our conversations but I think of you all the time, whether I'm here or away from the screen. Have a fun and happy time during your break from school as well!

      Delete
  2. You are coming from abundance, dear Jenny, and I share your enthusiasm. I love how Elliot is attempting to communicate with fireflies (lightning bugs, as we called them in Penna). Throughout my life I have felt a deep rapport with animals and insects. My first instinct is not to kill but to behold, appreciate and even communicate. Love feels so much better than hate. I wish more people would give it a try. I am very excited for you as you make preparations from your trip back north to Michigan. With all you will be experiencing there I can't imagine how you'll find time to read but if you do may I recommend a beautifully written short story called It's Not About the Squab? Have a safe and happy Sunday, dear friend Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shady, that was such a kindhearted and thoughtful comment, as usual! We also called them lightning bugs in Michigan. The squab story sounds so interesting! LOL! Inspired by a sacred place and interesting, good people that not many people know exists.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Jenny,
    Oh so happy for all of your family in the wonderful nature together, I love the way Shelly said "family saturated times"♡♡♡
    I love the way Elliot making contact with fireflies. I've seen them a lot when young, but now may be the river water is not clean enough, neither the Japanese rice-fish (famous tiny lovely ones).
    Please enjoy your time, Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Miyako, thank you for visiting me today! I'm sad that you can't see the fireflies or the rice fish anymore. I love you always too!

      Delete
  4. That moon picture is awesome. Interesting that you have fireflies already. In Iowa, we didn't get them until July and I don't think we have them where I live now. Or maybe since we live in town now, it's not so obvious. Your summer plans sound wonderful. I hope your family has a great time visiting Emily. Safe travels, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dear One...I've been off blogging myself for a bit and I go around visiting I'm finding many of us are all feeling the same. Commitment and quality time in blog land is very time consuming. I'm trying to live more of life than read or write about it for now. I'll see you on FB and we can share there! Enjoy this very special moment in your and Emily's lives. How wonderful! Have a great trip...hope to see some happy photos on FB
    Hugs and Loves~

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Banner and button design by me!